PDA

View Full Version : Is the Jane Powetwin stroller best for my situation? Other recs?

jennifer_r
10-16-2006, 03:26 PM
In the market for a new Double (HATE my combi twin) and I've done some research and I'm really excited about the Jane Powertwin. Here's my situation:
DD1 is just over 2 years old but only about 34 inches and weighs 24 lbs (so very small)
DD2 is 11 months old.
Have a side by side and HATE it because:
1)the kids will "fight" - the baby will tug and pull on my toddler and she'll "fight" back or they will try to take things away from each other
2)while can get through doorways, still a tight fit and I struggle through most aisles in the mall
Other reasons I don't like my combi:
-difficult to push at parks or any other rough surface
-two small baskets with a bar that goes through it (who designed this thing?)
-mine doesn't fold well (maybe a lemon?)

I think the Powertwin resolves most of my issues. I know that it is heavier but I really don't mind the tradeoff. If someone has another stroller that they think will work, let me know.

TIA

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

FSU-Kimberly
10-16-2006, 04:54 PM
I was also very excited about the Jane as I will have a 20 month old and a newborn. It seemed to be the perfect stroller. But, it was a big disappointment for me. My DD who was a little shy of 17 months at the time we tried it, who normally LOVES being in almost any stroller hated it! She is also on the small-side weight-wise (~20 lbs), but a little taller than average height-wise (32"). She was too tall to sit under the sun canopy comfortabley. The canopies were very small and I would have needed to purchase add-on ones which would have not only meant more $$, but also would have been a pain for collapsing etc. The seats seemed very close together - too close for my liking. I could just see baby #2 kicking away at baby #1 in the front. Oh, and it was really quite heavy.

The positives were that it did seem to maneuver quite well, better than most other tandems I had tried.

The store that I went to actually had 14 of 21 strollers returned due to unhappy customers in only about 6 weeks. The store sent all the Jane's back to the company and is no longer carrying them. I think that's a pretty big statement against them. But, the owner did say that lots of people out in stroller-land continue to rave about them, so who knows.

I ended up getting the Phil & Teds E3 with doubles attachment. I haven't actually used it with 2 babies yet, since #2 isn't due until January, but DD liked riding in it in all positions. It was light-weight, compact, easy to maneuver etc. The only - I can see right now is the storage, particularly when # 2 is laying flat in the bottom seat. But, I have a Maclaren for DD#1 and am used to traveling accordingly.

HTH

jennifer_r
10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
BUMP - if anyone has other thoughts/experiences, would love to hear them.

TIA

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

heatherlynn
10-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Hi Jennifer! How are you doing? I tried the Jane and didn't like it. My kids are small too and even they looked like they wouldn't fit in it for long. Also, the steering felt very tandem-like to me. I couldn't hold open a door with one hand and swing the stroller inside with the other (like I can w/ my e3). Have you looked at an e3? It isn't perfect, but I've found that this is the best stroller for me. I keep saying I'm going to sell it (only because I want something new!), but I'm always glad I don't. I just bought an Inglesina Twin Swift and it's very nice, but I may sell it. I just don't see myself reaching for that over the e3. The basket isn't great, but stroller swivelers work well. I also have Carry You pannier bags and they hold a lot even though they look small. One thing I think I'm going to do is get another toddler seat and put that up front like when the stroller is in newborn/toddler set up, so I'll have 2 toddler seats on the stroller and no main seat, if that makes sense. This gives much better access to the basket. I can't really recline the main seat anyway and DS doesn't sleep in it usually, so I don't think I need a main seat. I'm not sure if this makes sense. Are you on Swap? If so, a friend and I tried this and we posted pics in the photos section there.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

stonecali
10-21-2006, 01:43 PM
"One thing I think I'm going to do is get another toddler seat and put that up front like when the stroller is in newborn/toddler set up, so I'll have 2 toddler seats on the stroller and no main seat, if that makes sense."

I can't find the E3 with 2 toddler seat pictures you mentioned on the SWAP boards, Heather - can you lead me in the right direction (which album?)? Or, post them here?

Thanks!
Allison

heatherlynn
10-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi,

I guess they got deleted. They are out of order somewhat - the 3rd picture is a typical e3 toddler/toddler setup. Anyway, here they are:

Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36055.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36059.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36060.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36061.jpg

mariza
10-21-2006, 06:50 PM
DD was only 30 inches and 23lbs when I tested it, but she seemed kind of squished in the front and the canopy barely covered her head in the back seat (I was hoping to use it for her and my newborn). Also, it was still long and though the handling was better than other tandems, I still felt like I was driving a truck.
For people who are concerend about the fighting thing, it happens in tandems as well as SBS. I think it's actully worse is tandems since the kid in back has the advantage of kicking AND hair pulling while the one in front can't do anything about it. I know my normally sweet DD couldn't resist pulling her cousins big red curls while in the back of my SIL's Duorider.
I ended up with the Zooper Tango and could not be happier with it!

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

AGroversMom
10-22-2006, 04:39 PM
My DS is about the same size as your DD... He fits in it fine, except that the canopy is low so we don't use it, but we don't use the canopy on our Frog either. He just wears a good hat and sunscreen. I really like my Jane so far. I use it almost daily with my 20 mos old and my 2 mos old. My older one really likes riding up front and is always happy to get in and seems bumbed when we don't take the stroller. I looked at the P&T and just couldn't get over the low to the ground factor and the lack of storage... what is it like to ride so close to the ground through snow?

strollerqueen
10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Sorry, I did my 30-day clean-up and deleted them. A couple of things...just remember that the add-on seat only holds up to 33 pounds. And while I do tend to ignore a lot of weight limits, I hold fast to this one. I know too many people who exceeded it, and bent their E3 frames. Also, if you look at my pics of the 2007 GT, (the new, lighter version of the E3), you'll see a much bigger space between the add-on seat and the main seat. The design is different, and you can actually fold the stroller WITH the toddler seat on, yay!

jennifer_r
10-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Heather and Strollerqueen for the info on the E3. But now I have questions!!! I actually seriously looked at the E3 and liked everything about it EXCEPT that it had no basket which is a serious issue for me. So, how do you account for the lack of storage? Heather, I see you use the Carry You pannier bags. What kind of stuff do you put in there? Can it hold enough to replace my diaper bag? I was thinking that I would get a backpack diaper bag and that should help with that storage. What about shopping bags? How do you handle that? I see you are hanging a bag off one of those hooks on the handle of the stroller but the bag has a pretty long handle. Do you find if you put shopping bags on the hooks, do they ever bang into the DC sitting in the rear seat? Finally, the toddler seat attached to the front looks like it gives you easier access to the basket area but the DC in the rear still has their legs in the "basket" area. So, how useful is that basket then?

Strollerqueen, do you know when the 2007 will be able to purchase?

Thanks and sorry for all the "detailed" questions.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

heatherlynn
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi! Hmmm... the basket issue is not a huge issue for me; more like it's a consideration, if that makes sense. I think that the Carry You panniers could definately hold enough to replace a diaper bag. Right now, I don't have much in them, but I was just thinking about downsizing my diaper bag and using the bags more. They don't look big, but they do hold quite a bit. If you want, let me know what you'd like to put in them and I can try it for you. The bag in the picture is a LeSportsac Deluxe Everyday. I really like it, but went for a bigger LSS because I wanted the one where I could put 2 sippy cups on the outside (although I'm finding that that isn't really necessary). The great thing about the LSS bags is that the strap adjusts soooo easily. I really love that! It's great to have it long so that the bag goes behind the toddler seat, but then it's super easy to shorten so that I can carry it on my shoulder (or adjust it somewhere in the middle and use it messenger style). I also use the stroller swiveler hooks and I can usually adjust the bags so that they don't bonk the back rider. With the 2 toddler seats, the back rider's feet are still in the basket, but you can put things farther toward the front and they're feet aren't all over things as much. Or you could just cover the bags or whatever with a blanket. I usually keep extra clothes in a ziploc bag in the basket. I don't need to get to often and since it's in a bag, the clothes don't get dirty.

I hope this helps!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05