PDA

View Full Version : Phil & Ted's E3 real life questions

twinkie
10-26-2006, 07:43 PM
I have been looking at the P&T for DS (2 yrs 3 months) and for baby #2 due in a few weeks. I saw the stroller IRL today and I wanted to ask some questions of those of you who have this stroller:

1) How is dealing with adjusting the recline of the seat? It seemed like the zippers and clips would get very annoying. We presently have a zippy, and if DS is sleepy I can recline it with just a few fingers without waking him up. Is this possible with the E3?

2) I know technically you can't use an infant car seat in doubles mode, but is it possible to do it unofficially? How would you do it? Could you sit the toddler in the main seat and kind of wedge the bucket into the todder seat if it is attached in the lower position? Or, could the toddler sit in the lower seat (DS is currently 31 or 32 pounds so I know I am cutting it close), while the car seat is attached to the main seat area? Or maybe put the toddler seat in the upper position and lower the main seat all of the way and stick the infant car seat in that space? I don't plan on doing this for long strolls, but for a quick winter errand I don't really want to take a sleeping newborn out of the cozy warm carseat if I don't have to.

3) What do you do with your diaper bag in doubles mode? I have a skip hop right now, and I love it. My MIL bought me the skip hop duo double for when the baby comes, which, besides looking a bit too wide for this stroller, looks like it would also smack the lower rider on the head if attached to the handle bar. Would a handle bar extender solve this problem? I love my skip hop and do not want to have to drag a backpack around if I don't have to.

I want to love this stoller because size-wise it looks amazing compared to all of the other doubles, but the carseat thing and the diaper bag thing might be dealbreakers unless I can come up with some solution.

JustMare
10-26-2006, 09:28 PM
I can totally relate to how you feel! I have a love/hate relationship with this stroller.

I used to have a Zippy (currently have a Techno) and have noticed it's like comparing apples to oranges. My son likes to sit upright and I'm concerned about the slant of the seat. My friend has this stroller (she's expecting #2 in a few days) and when her son naps in the stroller she doesn't recline the seat. To be honest, he looks quite comfortable in the upright position since it's more of a hammock seat. I'm more concerned for the newborn in the toddler seat that doesn't recline.

For the skip hop, my friend and I both decided to go with the Skip Hop Dash. We currently have the Duo and it's just too long. The Dash is 4 inches shorter. I've seen several people use the Dash on the P&T with no problems. I also plan on getting the Skip Hop Saddle Bag for my toddler's stuff. I like the idea of him having his own little bag.

There is no way to safely use a carseat in the stroller. We live in the city and have no need to for it, so I haven't figured it out. We did decide on buying the JJCole Infant Support to put inside a JJCole Bundle Me when the infant is in newborn position just to offer more support and to keep the baby from rolling around.

Good luck, as I've noticed there's no perfect double stroller.
Mare

JenaW
10-27-2006, 08:46 PM
I bought the e3 over 2 years ago and have used it nearly every day since. Yes, it does have some downfalls, but I seriously can not say enough good things about it. I have never tried any of the other "expensive" doubles (MBUD, ABC, valco, etc) so can't compare, but have seen and used my cousin's graco duoglider, and knew I would never spend $ on one of those.

As for the car seat, I think the newer e3's have an adapter for using it up front on the bar (similar to how a car seat would fit in a travel system). Mine does not have this, so I really can't comment on it, but I don't know why you couldn't have the toddler seat on the back with that. I have a snugride and a keyfit and have used both of them with the stroller in newborn-toddler mode. I simply slide the car seat into the newborn bed (DH calls it the garage) and it works perfectly. When my preemie came home from the NICU last winter this worked perfectly. She was way too small to lay in the newborn bed with nothing to surround her, and it was much easier to keep her in the warmth of her car seat. Also, being in the "garage" no one could see her, touch her, breathe on her, etc. so I felt much safer out in public with her. I used this nearly daily for my mall walks. I know some advocate not leaving a baby in a car seat for extended times, but I could not sling her (I have yet to find one that works for me), and it took months for her to grow big enough to fit in a front carrier (because of her oxygen needs and breathing difficulties these still aren't ideal either), so I just made sure that as soon as we got home, I took her out of the car seat, even if she was asleep.

HTH
Jera

stonecali
10-27-2006, 09:27 PM
I seem to recall a whole series of pictures of someone putting their infant carseat in the fully reclined infant seat in the back (with the toddler seat on the front) - i.e. in the "garage" - very funny! I have scoured the archives and I can't seem to find that post! I remember it was a funny title - can anyone locate it? I don't know how safe or secure that is though!

I don't think you could put the infant seat on the front and the toddler behind, because I think for it to fit with the adapter that front seat needs to be reclined all the way so the back kid would have nowhere to go. Maybe I'm wrong (I don't own one yet!). Also, I'm pretty sure putting the car seat adapter on the back toddler seat is impossible.

For those of you who can wait, Phil & Ted's is coming out with 2 new improved models projected to be out in March 2007ish. I believe these two will take the place of the E3 (they look almost the same). Strollerqueen had pictures and details in her 2007 stroller review!

bubbaray
10-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I believe it was Mariana who posted those photos, but I searched under her screen name and couldn't find them.

It was a Graco SnugRide that she had in the stroller, IIRC.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

JustMare
10-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Can you elaborate on the new improved models?

Mare

theMama
10-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I was just talking with a salesperson about the P&T E3 a couple of days ago. He had just come back from a show and didn't think the new 2007's were worth the added cost since the changes were minor. He also asked me if I knew that the E3 could hold an infant seat. I said, "Yes, but only in singles mode, right?" He said that though Phil & Ted's says you can't use a carseat in doubles mode, he's seen lots of parents do it as the previous posters have pointed out. (sticking the carseat in the "garage" with the toddler seat in front.) Love that your DH called it a "garage"! LOL! The salesman then pulled out the E3 & a Graco Snugride & put it in the fully reclined infant seat resting the hooked feet of the carseat over some kind of back bar at the edge of the stroller's infant seat.

I hadn't thought of this either until he pointed it out to me.

Dette
http://b3.lilypie.com/i3lBm5/.png[/img][/url]
http://bd.lilypie.com/Ieygm5.png[/img][/link]

bubbaray
10-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Go to StrollerQueen's website and pay to read her review. It has the details in it. I think on p. 10. Its a great review!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

stonecali
10-28-2006, 06:59 PM
>He had just come back from a show and
>didn't think the new 2007's were worth the added cost since
>the changes were minor.

One of the improvements (which Strollerqueen already revealed on these boards, otherwise I wouldn't divulge it) is that you can fold it with the toddler seat on - I call that "major"! When you already paying $380 for a stroller (which my mom thinks is crazy), what's an extra 20 bucks to be able to fold it faster? That's only like a 1/2 penny more every time you fold it! hee hee

twinkie
10-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Wow, thanks for all of the feedback. I hunted around and found the thread with the pics of the snugride in the "garage".

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=63129&mesg_id=63129&listing_type=search

We have a baby trend latch loc (one of the only infant carseats in 2004 that went to 29 inches), which I hope will fit in the E3 garage. I need to dig that puppy out of the attic and bring it into the store to see for myself. I was considering the Jane (I know lots of people that use their infant carseats in there unofficially), but I don't think it will work for my super tall 2 year old. (He is 95th percentile for height--always was--that is why we needed the babytrend carseat when he outgrew my SIL's snugride at 7 weeks!!)

I would love to wait for the 2007 version of the E3, but DC #2 is due in a few weeks and I don't want to be "strollerless" all winter, especially in the 1st few months when I am going stir crazy. People have advised using a buggyboard with my existing stroller, but I would prefer to keep DS #1 "contained" while out and about.

heatherlynn
10-29-2006, 06:28 AM
I have an e3 and while I think it would be grat to be able to fold it with the toddler seat attached, but I wonder how much bigger it makes the stroller. Right now, I can fit it in my 98 Sienna (small cargo area) but I don't have any room to spare so I think that even if the 2007s are just a little bit bigger, it's not going to fit. Maybe I should get a new van to go with a new stroller. ;)

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

jray
10-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I think the new feature sounds awesome, but it literally takes 10 seconds to pop off the toddler seat. I don't find it annoying at all. :)

1) I haven't had a problem reclining with the zippers. I didn't think I'd like it either at first because I was used to my P3, but it has never been a problem.

2) I know technically you can't use an infant car seat in doubles mode, but is it possible to do it unofficially? Yes, it is possible for me. I actually put my baby's carseat in the FRONT of the stroller facing me (resting it on the bar) and tucking some of it under the hood, and my toddler sits in the back seat. (I don't recline the front either). I have a Chicco Keyfit. I obviously am very careful, but for quick trips when I don't want to wake the baby, this has worked really well for me.

3) In doubles mode, I either put my diaperbag in the basket or use the E3 Saddlebags. I also have the Bob Console (which is heavenly). When I'm shopping and have bags, I undo one the corners of the console, attach the bags, and re-velcro the console. Voila! Hands free! (You may have to save your Skip Hop for when your stroller is in singles mode, however). I was not able to use mine with the E3.

Honestly, the E3 is my favorite stroller ever. Their customer service is also amazing. (You wouldn't believe how many compliments and questions I get on this stroller). It's the best double for me, and I love it so much.

Good luck to you!