PDA

View Full Version : Infant and 4 year old

jbrandy
10-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Hello all,

We are expecting DC #2 in late April. DS #1 will turn 4 in early April. I'm thinking about what type of stroller I could use for a 4 yr old and an infant. Maybe there aren't any options but I thought I would check.

At this point I can't imagine my 3.5 year old going anywhere without his Quest stroller. When we go shopping, to the zoo, aquarium, etc... he prefers the stroller. Maybe DS will be a lot different in 6 months but I can hardly imagine him going without a stroller.

I think I've heard that there is some type of toddler attachment you can add to a regular stroller so they can sit or stand between the stroller and the adult. I'm not sure how well those work.

Do I go with a double stroller? I hate the thought of pushing around such a wide stroller. DH and I are both tall and that's why we love our Quest.

We also have an old Combi Perfect Match Stroller that I used when DS #1 was little. I may think of getting rid of this stroller if there is a better option for our situation.

All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for your thoughts!
Beth B
DS 4-4-03
#2 due 4-30-07

Piglet
10-29-2006, 03:10 PM
I have 2 DSs about 4 years apart and a double Maclaren that has been used about 10 times total :( If I did it all over again, I would have either bought a Phil and Ted's E3 with the extra seat option or a P3 style stroller with built-in footboards. The reason we used ours so little is that I often found myself wearing DS2 in a a sling or Bjorn and pushing DS1 or DS1 would walk while I pushed DS2. If we went to the zoo, we would take 2 strollers as I was too scared to venture out to the zoo by myself with 2 kids in the early days. The other option is a buggy board, but although I bought one, we never got it figured out. My stroller didn't work with it as well as I would have liked - I kicked it when I walked or DS1 couldn't stand properly with DS2's seat reclined. It might have worked had DS2 been a bit older and his seat could have been more upright. Not that the P3 solves the problem of the seat recline, but the footboards are more integrated so you would likely kick them less.

I am expecting another baby that will be 26 months younger than DS2 and I think we will finally get some use out of the double, but on the other hand, DS2 is already fighting the stroller. DS1 loved riding so I also thought we would have a problem once the baby arrived?! I was wrong, LOL!

Tondi G
10-29-2006, 03:44 PM
See I had the same problem. My DS turned 4 2 months after #2 was born and everyone said ahhh don't bother with a double stroller. We tried out the MBUD and he is such a big kid that he just didn't fit.... but he still wants to ride (even now) and he is 5! When we go to Disneyland we just get a rental (they have Babyjoggers) and otherwise we usually make him walk but sometimes he complains so much that I just wish we had bought at least a double jogger or something that would accomodate him.

I would suck it up and buy a side by side.... either a Baby Jogger City double, BOB revolution, Mountain Buggy, Valco. If he is still riding now he probably won't like the idea of being bumped and forced to walk!

How big is your DS? Weight? They are not known to be the best strollers but you might consider a Sit n Stand or a Joovy.

Good luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

jbrandy
10-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the replies so far! DS is 35 pounds now and. He has weighed roughly 33-35 pounds since last spring -- he doesn't really gain any weight right now -- he just getting taller and slimming down a bit. I have been looking at Phil and Ted's E3 as well as some of the other doubles. I really want something that is as compact (when folded) and light as possible. That's why I love my Mac Quest so much -- lightweight and takes up little room in my Chevy Malibu. We are thinking about a mini van so maybe the size folded up won't be such a big deal in a larger vehicle.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Beth B

Momof3Labs
10-29-2006, 10:51 PM
I'd wait. My DS1 (4yo) hasn't asked to ride since DS2 arrived 8 months ago, although he occasionally jumps on the footboard of our Venezia. You can always buy one later if you find you need a double (and slinging the baby doesn't work). And as someone mentioned, you can always bring two singles if you are going somewhere with more than one adult.

MamaKath
10-30-2006, 09:37 PM
I would try slinging the new baby and seeing how it goes before making that investment. If you decide to go for a double think if you need a single with a board, a double with a toddler seat, or a true double (then go for a sbs such as the previous poster mentioned).

HTH~