PDA

View Full Version : travel system stroller - use for how long and for what purposes?

bouldermom
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

I am a new mom-to-be who is somewhat clueless about the world of strollers (in spite of the hours I have spent trolling this site). I have come to realize that I likely will need three strollers: a lightweight travel stroller (I'm thinking of the Quest), an all terrain stroller for the hiking I do on Boulder trails (I'm thinking the BOB Sus deluxe) and an all-purpose/ travel system stroller as my main stroller (I'm thinking the Peg Perego Venezia). This is where my question comes in. For how long do babies use a stroller like the Venezia? I know you can start using it with the car seat and then use it for a toddler, but I'm wondering for how long, in practice, people have actually used this stroller. Also, for what purposes would you use this one rather than the lighter Quest? How do you know what to use when? Any advice would be appreciated. My mom has offered to buy me the Venezia, and I just want to make sure I'd be using it enough to make it worth the $.

Thanks!

disneymom2
10-30-2006, 12:36 PM
well, the Venezia is a great all purpose stroller IMHO. It is a little heavier than most strollers, but it makes up for it in features. It is a great mall stroller, very comfy, full recline, great basket, one piece reversable handle, I could go on and on. If I didn't need a double right now I would buy a Venezia. The Venezia can be used up to 40-45 pounds, which could be as little as 3 yrs and as much as 5 depending on your childs growth. With my first baby I slung him for 2 months while I picked out a stroller. I ended up with a Mac Techno. It has been my only stroller and I wish I had gotten a reversable handle stroller for the first year or so, like the Venezia. I could have saved the Mac for just quick trips and traveling. Some say the Venezia isn't good outdoors. But, a friend of mine had one and used to indoors and outdoors on paved sidewalks and it was fine. It all depends on what you will be using it for.

Piglet
10-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I just wanted to quickly pop in and point out that it is not really recommended to keep baby in the carseat in the stroller. The carseat is for the car or quick errands (like the bank, doctor's office). You should put the baby directly in the stroller when going to the mall. It is much better for head development and breathing.

My recommendation is to merge the two choices into one - get an Inglesina Zippy or Peg P3 style stroller. I find they are the best multi-purpose strollers out there. When your baby gets bigger, you can look into Maclaren style strollers. By then, you might be able to get by with a Volo or similar stroller. I do think there is a separate requirement for a good all-terrain stroller, so you will still probably want to get a BOB or the like.