PDA

View Full Version : Help...Twins escaping Combi Twin Savvy...

ColorBlue
11-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I have the combi twin savvy, I really like that it folds so small and is really light. But I'm having a problem with the straps. My twins have been able to escape the straps forever but today was the final straw one twin escaped while I was putting the other in the car and was starting to run through the mall parking lot!! She was fine but I almost had a heart attack!

Is there an aftermarket harness that I could use with it or do I just have to get a new stroller? I wouldn't mind a new one but I doubt my husband will be too pleased with spending the money. So I'd prefer to figure out a way to keep them in this one.

More info on the straps...there are two straps, one around the waist which they cannot yet undo and one that goes over the shoulder and attaches to the waist one. They slip the shoulder one off their shoulders and wiggle out of the waist strap. No matter how tight I make the shoulders they still do it. Any also the connection between the shoulder strap and the waist strap often comes undone. Any advice?

Tracy

Mama to three girls, my big kindergartener Grace 11/01, and my babies Ella and Madeline 10/04.

hardysmom
11-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Well, there is duct tape. Just kidding.

This may not be good news.... I think that once they figure out the concept of getting out, it is almost impossible to find something that will keep them for either trying to escape or turning blue with frustration (at which point you may wish they escaped). I sold my Marco Sky b/c one of my twins did the same trick. Once one figured it out, the other would also fight to be free and the stroller had to go.

Since then, one twin has always managed to either work her way out, dance with disaster by getting half-way out, or scream non-stop if she can't escape. And even better, she has now figured out how to wiggle out of hre Britax car seat.

Anyway, my kids are roughly the same age as your gang. Hardy is 11/01 and the twins are 3/04. It is a hard age with twins b/c neither threat nor bribe works to curb behaviors very well and they REALLY want to define boundries and explore, particularly when a big sibling is around. It does get a lot easier at 2.5 (we just hit it thank goodness).

Pretty soon after turning 2, it became more and more difficult to get my girls to ride and now, at 2.5, it is nearly impossible unless I am in constant motion. The Combi is a tough one. Strollers with more of a bucket or slanted seat like an (MB or Mac) work a little better, but days are still numbered (my escape artist can get out of both)

I know this is extra hard with twins, but it migh be time to start working on how to behave out of a stroller (keep a hand on the car while loading sister, buddy-up in crowds, etc) I think one of those "twin-things" can be that it is so overwhelming to have two on-foot (and a pre-schooler) that they don't learn some of the things singleton's just sort of pick up naturally while riding mom's hip. At least that is the case in my house.

Good luck.

Stephanie
Blythe and Charlotte 2.5
Hardy (almost 5)

sobers3
11-04-2006, 10:01 AM
You can also try, as a chest clip like on a car seat, using a pony tail holder. I use the ones with 2 balls on the end and attach it really tight so they can't slip it down. It has worked for me and although it adds an extra step to the in and out process, having them contained was worth it to me. HTH

chays
11-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Can you criss-cross the shoulder straps? I think the Combi shoulder straps just clip onto the lap belt...can you cross them to make it harder to wiggle out?

Just a thought...

natmurr
12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
why not try a car seat chest clip. I've seen replacement Graco chest clips at Wal-mart. You could even install it "backwards" (logo facing in towards the chest) to make it even trickier(is that a word??!!) to undo.

If it works it would be quick and easier to fasten/unfasten all the time.

I know what its like to have monkey kids! Thank goodness they have never attempted to get out of their car seats but they have never encountered a high chair or stroller that can hold them in!

HTH
Natalie