PDA

View Full Version : help me find a stroller!

tg_canada
11-08-2006, 06:54 PM
There are too many choices and my head is going buggy! I bought StrollerQueen's 2007 preview which has confused me even more! :)

Musts:
- lightweight - preferably under 20lbs
- can make it through snow, slush and gravel
- will take a car seat (Graco SafeSeat specifically)
- available in Canada or easy to get to Canada

I like the Valco Tri-Mode, but it's huge! I also like their Buggster, but those wheels don't look like they'd make it camping or over unshoveled sidewalks in the winter (or am I wrong?).

I can wait a bit if there's one that will fit my needs and just isn't out yet.

hipmaman
11-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Not sure about the 2007 line-up as I'm not familiar with them myself, but I guess one or all of your first 3 criteria in one stroller might be harder to find. I thought of the MB Breeze, but not sure if it takes carseat or not.

Have you ask the Queen herself?

LarsMal
11-09-2006, 10:13 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Pliko P3! I love it so much that I am planning on slinging #2 when she gets here so I can use it longer! I just can't seem to find a double stroller that I like.

It is lightweight, easy to get in and out of the car, easy to open/close, it takes a carseat (I have the Graco Snugride). It may not be the easiest to get through snow, but I have taken it on a gravel trail (it was bumpy, but okay). I have the Jeep Liberty that I use for the snow/slush/gravel issue. It also has a snack tray and a great canopy. I highly recommend it!

Good luck!

dscollier3
11-10-2006, 03:29 AM
How 'bout the Easy Walker? It's 15-20 lbs, and with the fixed wheel in front, should do well in slush and snow. You could switch it to the swivel wheel for shopping if you wanted to. There is an adaptor for the Graco Snugride, but I don't know about the SafeSeat. There is also a bassinet available for them. The best price is at Kiwi-Kid.com, I think, though Joggingstroller.com has a really good write up on the stroller.

I have an EasyWalker and really like it. Oh, and their footmuff / sleeping bag is really great.

HTH, Sharon

strollerqueen
11-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I weighed mine, with the seat, wheels, basket, and canopy, at 21.5 pounds. I am not sure where they are gettng 15 (I have read that, too.) The manufacturer's numbers are always a mystery to me. Anyway, I am in the process of testing, and a review is forthcoming.

annabellesmama
11-10-2006, 05:13 PM
i love my pliko p3 too!

tg_canada
11-11-2006, 10:35 AM
For the P3 owners, will those small, plastic wheels actually make it through terrain other than smooth sidewalks? I'll need this to make it through snow, lumpy ice, and wet slushy snow. I also need it to be good on gravel roads and grass, for when we are camping. It just didn't look to me like those wheels would last....but I could be wrong!

The EasyWalker looks pretty good, I am just not sure why they didn't build the swivel capability right into the wheel. Seems a little silly to have to swap wheels when needed. How does it compare to the Tri-Mode in size?

strollerqueen
11-11-2006, 05:03 PM
No, I don't think amll plastic swivel wheels will cut it. You need big pram or air tires for snow.

The reason Easy Walker gives you two sets of wheels is so that you can use the small swivels for indoors/shopping/errands, etc. Then you can use the larger fixed wheel outside. Fixed wheels are really better for the useage you have in mind, but not so convenient for making turns in crowded areas.

Tondi G
11-11-2006, 07:37 PM
The P3 is a great stroller but it doesn't handle grass and gravel that well. You want air tires for "off roading"!

What about a Mountain Buggy Urban? Or a Bob Revoution? Baby Jogger city series single?

tg_canada
11-12-2006, 11:59 AM
>The reason Easy Walker gives you two sets of wheels is so that
>you can use the small swivels for indoors/shopping/errands,
>etc. Then you can use the larger fixed wheel outside. Fixed
>wheels are really better for the useage you have in mind, but
>not so convenient for making turns in crowded areas.

But why didn't they build the swivel right into the larger wheel? and then have a fixed option for the same wheel? You know, like the Rocket or the Tri-Mode. I can just see myself heading out for the day wondering why I can't make it through the snow and then realizing I forgot to swap the wheel! :)

tg_canada
11-12-2006, 12:00 PM
>What about a Mountain Buggy Urban? Or a Bob Revoution? Baby
>Jogger city series single?

Thank you, I will look into these.

Piglet
11-12-2006, 12:18 PM
I have virtually the same criteria as you for our next double, but no weight restriction. I am very seriously considering a Chariot - made in Calgary, so very easy to get all accross Canada! It will take a carseat inside the "cabin" and goes through every terrain imaginable! You can buy bike attachments and even x-country ski attachments for most of their models.

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/html_english/home.htm

Also, are you trying to find a single or a double? If you are looking at a single, the Bugaboo would fit your criteria (if money were not object, LOL).

strollerqueen
11-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Well...because it gives you more options to be able to switch out. But they are making a big swivel wheel version for 2007. I don't think it will be out for a while. Have you looked at four, fixed wheel prams at all? Like the Emmaljunga or Brio? Those are made for snow and slush, and will just glide right through. I know they still sell the Brio at some stores in Canada.

strollerqueen
11-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Oh, I wanted to add that Silver Cross just came out with a new four, fixed wheel pram, the Classic Sleepover. Bertini, Bebecar, and Bumbleride make steerable four-wheel prams, also.

pampamz
11-13-2006, 11:15 AM
I am in Canada, and have a Zooper Swing. It took my Graco seat fine, weighs about 19lbs and handled snowy/slushy parking lots OK.

However, I wouldn't say it would be up to daily leisurely walks on snowy or slushy sidewalks. More of a get into the mall through the slush type of thing. If you are looking for a real all-terrain stroller, I just don't know if you will find it in that weight class??

Have fun!

bubbaray
11-13-2006, 11:56 AM
You'll want an AT for snow/slush/gravel. A P3 or similar isn't going to cut it.

I can't think of a stroller that takes a Safeseat. They all (that take car seats) seem to take the SnugRide or Peg seat.

Under 20lbs for an AT is going to be tough.

Without a weight restriction, my first choice would be a BOB Revolution. Others to consider: BJCS, MBUS, Bebecar (various models), Valco, various prams (though most are pretty heavy).

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

mommy2maya
11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Anything that takes the snugride should be able to take a safeseat too, at least in my experience my safeseat fits in everything the snugride does.

tg_canada
11-15-2006, 12:48 PM
>Oh, I wanted to add that Silver Cross just came out with a
>new four, fixed wheel pram, the Classic Sleepover. Bertini,
>Bebecar, and Bumbleride make steerable four-wheel prams,
>also.

Thank-you for the suggestion. We went out and tried the Bumbleride (Queen B?) as it's the only 4 wheeled pram carried in my city. DH didn't like how it steered (or should I say it's lack of steering) and it is very large in size when folded. Are all the 4 wheeled prams large when folded? I guess I should have mentioned that I need something on the smaller side as we go camping in the summer. We've already lost the extra packing room we had when folding down the backseat with the new baby, so I need to find something "small" yet will deal well with gravel /dirt pathways. (When I say small, I mean the smallest I can get while still doing what I need it to do as obviously a tiny umbrella stroller isn't going to work well camping!). I did like the comfort of the Queen B, I wanted to sleep in it!

I took a look at the Bugaboo and liked the weight of it and the configurability, but it is out of my price range right now. I wish they sold it without the bassinet for a few hundred less. :(

I also looked at the Quinny Buzz. It seems pretty cool but I read some unfavourable reviews on its quality and it is really heavy. Also it doesn't seem to take a Graco car seat.

The reason weight is so much of a concern for me is again for when we go camping. We tow a pop-up trailer and are at the limit for what we can tow. With the new baby/car seat adding extra weight and our other child getting heavier as she grows, I have to find a light stroller or not take one with me. If we eliminate anymore camping gear we won't be taking clothes with us. :)

tg_canada
11-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Are there any other configurable chassis type strollers (like the Buzz or the Bugaboo) that are lightweight (like the Bugaboo) but cost less than the Bugaboo?

tg_canada
11-15-2006, 01:20 PM
>The P3 is a great stroller but it doesn't handle grass and
>gravel that well. You want air tires for "off roading"!
>
>What about a Mountain Buggy Urban? Or a Bob Revoution? Baby
>Jogger city series single?

Finally looked at the MB Urban, it is definitely a contender! Now, off to checkout the other 2 you mentioned.

Piglet
11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
From what you wrote, I would totally look into a Mountain Buggy. I always regretted not getting one for many of the reasons you describe. I think the wheels are pretty easy to remove and the rest folds pretty small. I have a Kelty Joyrider (jogging stroller) that we take camping and it takes up very little space because the wheels pop right off and the rest of the stroller folds pretty small (not light weight enough for you and no recline for an infant so it obviously won't work for you, but I thought I would throw that out there since we go camping and live in a snowy place too). We take the Kelty on hikes all the time and find it handles great - if you can find a x-country ski trail, it will be wide enough and flat enough for a good all-terrain stroller. The MB will do well on hikes for that same reason. The BOB will be good as well, but I can not comment on it much - I haven't played with it MEC sells them ( www.mec.ca ).

I still say the Chariot might serve your purposes, depending on your lifestyle. It is not a mall stroller, but it would be good for camping, hiking, snow, etc. Plus it is a bike trailer if you need it. It folds flat once you take the wheels off.

strollerqueen
11-15-2006, 11:53 PM
That's a good idea! I love the MB Breeze! It weighs 18.5 pounds, and is just adorable! I have a review of it on www.strollerqueen.com
under "NewNewNew". The 10" tires wouldn't handle big snowbanks like bigger wheeled joggers or prams, but would be fine for a little snow, slush, gravel, sand, rocks, and everything else. Any of the MB models would work, or the Easy Walker too, for that matter. But they are all bigger than the Breeze.

sobers3
11-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Rock Star Baby or Infinity. They are the same stroller.

bubbaray
11-25-2006, 09:58 AM
BOB strollers now have a specific adaptor for the Graco Safeseat.

http://www.bobgear.com/accessories/icsa.php

HTH
Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

tg_canada
11-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Okay, so I've gone without a stroller long enough. I got exasperated today hauling my baby in her car seat through a snow covered parking lot and through the hospital to visit my husband (I sure hope he's not in there for long!). It's WAY too cold here to fuss with taking her out of her seat and putting her into something else and carrying her is just plain dangerous in all this snow and ice. Putting her car seat into the stroller and pushing it through the snow filled parking lot would be so much nicer than hauling that seat and having to worry about slipping!

So, I ordered the Valco Tri-Mode in PINK!!! It's a big larger than I wanted but I liked that it was easy to move the wheel from swivel to fixed (think snowy parking lot where I need fixed then once inside flip the switch to swivel). Nice that it has the car seat adapter, big wheels for camping (gravel and sand at the beach) and winter. One of my local baby stores carries it and just put in an order today so they ordered me the pink one at the same time.

I am not sure if I made the right decision but I've been "deciding" for 11 months now and baby is already 12 weeks old. I've had several situation now that a stroller would have made easier so I had to make a decision.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

KFG
12-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I wanted to let you know - even though you already ordered your stroller - that The Right Start stores carry the Bugaboo stroller. On their website it looks like they order the stroller separately from the bassinett. I remember thinking that it was odd when I saw it a few weeks ago, because I thought their big selling point was that everything came together. I don't remember how much it cost, though.

Glad you made a decision... I have still to make mine!

tg_canada
12-02-2006, 07:58 PM
So I ended up with the Valco Tri-Mode in Bubblegum. I didn't go for the EasyWalker just because I could see myself losing the small swivel wheel and needing to swap wheels too often. For example, yesterday I had to go through snow filled parking lot where the fixed wheel would be best, then I get inside where swivel wheel would be best and would have to swap.

The Breeze looker super sweet. And the only reason I didn't snap one up was because I got swayed with Valco having the zip in mosquito net that fits the stroller perfectly and the four season footmuff. The mosquitoes here have been REALLY bad the last couple years. Previously they used to come out only in the evenings and now it's all day long, and unless your plastered with some serious chemicals, you get chewed. I'll be happy babe is safe inside the netted area.

I almost went for the Urban Single and am still thinking maybe I should have. I watched a video of it and love how it folded. The Valco won over just because I could see it in person before buying. We only have 2 specialty baby stores in our city, so not much access to decent strollers (other than that, we're limited to Sears and Wal-Mart). Neither carried the Mountain Buggy but one carried Valco so I tried out the Tri-Mode and had them order me one in Bubblegum with the footmuff. I'll order the mosquito net come springtime.

Thank-you very much for your help.