PDA

View Full Version : lightweight stroller for 5-month old

lisen
11-17-2006, 11:45 PM
My son is a big guy and just outgrown his Graco Snugride infant car seat, so I need to find an appropriate "real" stroller for him.

After much research, I don't really see anything I love, especially that would be appropriate for a 5-month old. Cost is a factor and I'd like to keep this to the low-mid 100s.

I use a stroller for outdoor walks (nothing heavy-duty, no off-terrain) and for all sorts of errands. And I live where there's winter. I want something lightweight so that errands aren't tough and because I live in a second-floor walkup and have to carry the stroller up and down the stairs every time I use it.

I looked at the Peg Perego Aria since I see that one a lot where I live, but I see that one is not at all well-reviewed on this site and what good is a stroller if the canopy can't keep the sun off my son's head?

Also looked at the Maclaren Triumph but it has the same sun canopy issue and more importantly it seems like a 5-month old wouldn't really be ready to ride in that one.

Sorry to go on for so long, but can anyone help me?

MNmomtobe
11-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Would you consider a used stroller? I think the Maclaren Techno, Inglesina Zippy, or Peg Perego P3 would be great for a 5 mo. old. However, brand new they would be out of your price range. You could look for a new "older" model year. I believe some places are still selling 2005 P3s. It is structurally the same as the 2006 except for the fabric colors. My DD is 5 mo. and we are just now really starting to use the P3. She absolutely loves it. She usually falls asleep in there.

BTW, these strollers are about 16-18 lbs so not real light but I think a 5 mo. old needs a cushier stroller, and cushy= weight. IMO, the umbrella-style close makes a stroller easier to carry than a book-style fold stroller- even it they are the same weight. Less bulk.

Grand Touring is coming out with a new stroller for 2007 called the Rock Star Baby Esprit or Candy. It has a full recline, adjustable footrest and is priced at $139. Don't know much more about it but I am interested in getting one of these myself. I believe it is 14 lbs. They are available at babyuniverse.

tjteems
11-18-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm in the same situation and decided on the Zippy. I'm ordering it today. . .the 2005 version, so it is much cheaper. I also considered the Aria, but decided against it b/c the recline is not full.

MNmomtobe
11-18-2006, 05:51 PM
One thing to consider before you order your Zippy...I believe that Inglesina came out with a 2005 and 2005 1/2 models. The 2005 1/2 year model had a toddler step in the back (if that matters to you) and the 2005 does not.

ETA: Also Zippys did not come with snack trays until the 2006 model though you can order one aftermarket for about $20 bucks or so.

lisen
11-18-2006, 06:53 PM
That Zippy is haunting me! When I was pregnant I tried it in the store and fell in love with it but refrained from buying because of the price.

I'll check out the Techno and P3 in previous year's models as well. And thank you for the "comfiness" advice. I was pretty confused about what a baby his age actually requires.