PDA

View Full Version : umbrella stroller with a big basket?

pingumel
11-24-2006, 04:01 PM
is there any such creature? i am one of those diaper bag over-stuffers. (i have an overland prosport that's stuffed to the nines.) i went to bru the other day to look at umbrella strollers for a 1year old, liked the maclaren triumph and techno xt, but there's no way my wide diaper bag is fitting in that basket. it's not so much a matter of the actual basket size, it's the access to that basket. for that matter, it won't fit in most of the other umbrella strollers that were there. do i need to learn to pack less, or is there a lightweight mallcrawling stroller out there that has a basket with better access?

Momof3Labs
11-24-2006, 04:57 PM
A stable stroller like the P3 may not hold your bag in the basket, but you can hang it over the handles and it won't tip. A Maclaren will definitely tip over with a big, heavy bag hanging on it.

skipspin
11-24-2006, 05:10 PM
You might see if you could hang your bag on a different brand umbrella stroller that you like. I can hang several shopping bags on my Zooper, buy my friend can barely hang her purse on her Techno.

That's also why I recently got a Zooper Salsa instead of a Mac Volo. The Mac is a little nicer, but I can hang stuff on the Zooper. (Well, that and it was $60 new...)

~Joy

westgre
11-24-2006, 06:35 PM
How does the Salsa's steering compare to the Volo? Which one is easier to fold? What about wheel size -- are they the same? I'd love a more detailed comparison, if you wouldn't mind. I'm finding my Zippy kind of bulky for mall shopping, but I'm worried about the tip factor on the Volo.

skipspin
11-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Those were all my questions too as I bought the Salsa sight unseen.

First, I got a great deal at Costco.com, so that helped, plus I oculd return it if I didn't like it and not be out shipping. That helped me go for it. I have only used it one day (yesterday for 3-4 hrs) with my 33 lb DD.

I have also ONLY test driven a Volo in BRU once, so I can't give a GREAT comparison. I will have to go in and try both side by side.

My initial guess is that if that if the Volo is a 9, the Salso gets an 8. I don't think the back is quite as high, although it was fine for DD since I wouldn't take it when she would sleep. (Yes, I have a 3 yr old that still sleeps in her stroller. LOL) One thing that is better IMO is that I can hang stuff off the handles and it doesn't tip nearly as easiy as the Macs, and that is a plus for me. I would guess the steering is really close, and I know there isn't a big difference in wheel size, so any pushing difference I would explain as a Volo at 9, Salsa at 8.

I am planning on writing a review after I go to BRU and try the volo again (in the near future), but I'm not dissapointed yet and I spent less money, so I'm happy. Mine also came with a free matching backpack.

~Joy

bubbaray
11-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Joy, how much "growing" room does your DD have in the Salsa? Not weight, but height....

I'm soooo in love with the pink one! I saw a mom with it at the grocery store last week and I stalked her to find out the make/model.

I have a Silver Cross Micro and do NOT like it at all. Even with my DH's wheel fix, the wheels aren't perfect and it is soooo tippy, it drives me nuts.

Any feedback would be great! :)

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

dscollier3
11-26-2006, 03:01 PM
How 'bout the Peg Perego Pliko Lite? It's an umbrella fold, and it folds a little thinner than the P3 since it doesn't have the front bar and rear step. It's not tippy, and if you put caribiner clips on the handle loops, you can hang almost any bag or shopping bag off the back. The Peg baskets are only accessable from the sides, but small packages should fit underneath easily and they still hold more than the Maclaren baskets do.

HTH, Sharon

skipspin
11-27-2006, 01:32 PM
I'll take a picture later and post it here. DH has the Jeep with the Salsa (that he doesn't know I bought yet) in it. LOL.

The top of her head is above the top of the seat, but there is plenty of room in the hood still. Also, she is about 36", but VERY long in the torso and short in the legs, so she will have less room (body wise) than most other kids her same height. Her head is about at the top of her Briax Wizard, if that helps at all.

~Joy
Mommy and Child Passenger Safety Tech

skipspin
11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
I went to BRU and got some comparison pics of the Volo and Salsa today. I think there are three major differences.

Here are the things I think are "better":

Volo- The way the fabric is in the head area would be better for sleeping/resting. It sort of leans back without reclining instead of pusching the head forward a little.

Salsa- Larger wheels, and they have "tread" on them that makes it just slightly not as smooth feeling on really smooth floors. Not really better or worse, just different.

Salsa- It's not as tippy with stuff on the back. This is just a personal thing that I really like.

IMO, they are the same hight, about the same look, and push with the same ease on a smooth BRU floor. The Salsa seat is a little wider. I would guess the Salsa might be slightly better on a rough surface, but who knows. My Salsa was also quite a bit less than I have seen any 06 Volo, so that's a bonus for me.

The Mac Volo that I was comparing it with must have been the new 07 model because the logo was a little different, and BRU also had new Triumps (I like them a lot better than the old ones) in and the 06s on sale, but barely on sale.

The pics are at:
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/skipspin/Stroller/
DD is about 33 lb, and 35", with a long torso and short little legs. LOL.

Joy
Mommy to DD 3 and another blessing arriving in 07
Child passenger Safety Tech

bubbaray
11-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Thank you soooooo much!!! :) Those pics really help me.

BTW, your DD is a cutie-pie! :) Thanks again!
Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

westgre
11-30-2006, 06:08 AM
Thank you so much! That really pushed me to the Salsa. They're almost identical. It's hard to compare when the only strollers in area stores are Graco, Kolcraft, etc.