PDA

View Full Version : Strollerqueen - your opinion on car seats in strollers

cmjnc
11-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi!

I just read your 2007 reviews and noticed that you don't believe in putting car seats in strollers. I just wanted to see what your basis was for that statement - I'm expecting my first in June and it certainly seemed like a good idea not to have to wake baby to put her in the stroller. But I'd love to hear what you think!

Thank you!
Camille

nfowife
11-26-2006, 11:11 AM
If you do a search on this subject, it has been discussed at length with the reasoning as to why. HTH!

bubbaray
11-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Babies that are small enough to ride in infant seats generally fall back to sleep pretty quickly even if they do wake when you transfer them from seat to stroller. My DD was/is a horribly light sleeper and waking on transfer was never a problem for us when she was still in the infant seat (she outgrew it at 4m).

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

mariza
11-26-2006, 01:07 PM
With my first I was very careful not to leave her in the carseat too long, not to leave her in the bouncy seat or swing too long as well (the reason goes beyond the carseat to all baby gear that keeps them on their back for extended periods).
Now I have a newborn (almost 3 months) and my DD is 21 months. I have to admit (hangs head in shame) that I have come to love my Combi Carseat carrier and my Papasan swing. DD keeps me so occupied that I often need to set the baby down somewhere to keep up wiht her and he hates being on his belly unless someone is there with him. As a result he is developing a noticable flat head. I am kicking myself because I "knew better". My pedi said he doesn't (at this point) need a helmet, but I need to be more proactive in keeping him off his back besides for sleeping.
Listen to SQ's (and other's advice) baby's need to be able to move and these devices restrict their movement and can result in plagiocephaly (sp?) aka "flat-head".
Like pp said, there are tons of threads on the subject if you do a search.

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

bubbaray
11-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Mariza, hugs about your DS. That is good news that your pedi says he doesn't need a helmet, right? Don't beat yourself up over this -- things happen. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Hugs!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

hardysmom
11-26-2006, 04:27 PM
One of my twins did need a helmet from 5-11 mo...

The problem, called plagiocephaly (flat-head syndrome), can occur because the baby (for a number of reasons) isn't moving her weight around enough. Most plagio kids have a VERY common but often undiagnosed stiff-neck issue (torticollis) that keeps them from moving their heads off of one particular side, which then develops a flat-spot. Other kids (like my daughter) are born with a strange shape. Preemies have particular issues since their skulls are so soft and they will spend an extra couple of months laying down befor rolling/sitting up.

Using devices like carseats, bouncy seats, and swings makes the problem worse because they hold the baby in a certain position. Use of carseat carriers for limited jaunts isn't such a big deal. They just need to have sufficient tummy time and time out of other devices which restrict movement.

I know SQ likes to stick to a 30 minute rule- that is, that babies shouldn't be in carseats for more than 30 minutes on either side of a trip. Personally, I think this can be stretched a little if you aren't transferring the baby from a carseat to a swing or bouncy, but rather to tummy time, slings, etc...

You do what you can. For example, I certainly used a carrier at the grocery store and for in-out errands; however, I didn't use a carrier for walks in my neighborhood, festivals, mall crawls or trips to the zoo.

Stephanie