PDA

View Full Version : 2yo and twins on the way... what to do!

sddancer
11-28-2006, 01:09 PM
I know this isn't the most common question, but I have a 2 year old in a P3 which we have loved and used every day. But now we have twins on the way and I'm not sure what to do...

Are there double strollers with toddler boards/options?

I really don't want to have to buy a triple stroller, those are insane but I don't know what my other options are.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would love to hear them.

-Cecily

hardysmom
11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
First, congrats. Second, it isn't such an unusual question. I asked the same question 2 yrs ago and there have been many others. Now, my girls are (gulp) 2.5 and my son just turned 5 (he was 2yrs, 4 mo when they arrived)

Do an ADVANCED search for titles like "twins AND toddler" and you'll find a lot and filter out twin (meaning double) stroller questions.

OK- here is the short answer-- at 2, your toddler is really too little for a board. Most kids need to be 3-3.5 before they ride well as a primary, though they work for short stints if you have the kind of kid who doesn't ride a lot anyway. For that age, a double with an actual toddlerseat to contain the 2 yr old is probably the way to go... I started with a Mountain Buggy Urban Double b/c the toddlerseats were very new in the US when my twins were born. Having an actual seat for my toddler would have been HUGE in those first months.

I used a triple for neighborhood walks for the first year. Perssonally, I liked that better for longer walks than toddlerseat options b/c it was easier to let my toddler in/out and it just seemed easier to hit a certain stride. I rarely used it (an Inglesina BiPosto Pram, btw) indoors. If you want to get some ideas about trips www.tripletconnection.com has a great stroller discussion board and a used board with lots of great deals. They are open to non-tripet moms, particularly lower order multiples w/ siblings.

There are 2 toddlerseat options. Both are good and have umique advantages. The easiest, cheapest, and the most common is the Valco Twin w a toddlerseat. Basically, it is a souped up, all-terrain side-by-side with an add-on seat for ther older child. Loads of people have them and like them. While bulkier than your P3, it is the easiest option for an in/out of the car hybrid-triple.

The second toddlerseat double is the ABC Buggy which is tough to find, but an excellent stroller (I now use the single model wtih my twins). The difference is that the toddlerseat sits on the handle facing the driver which has several advantages from a better weight distribution and easier steering to more one-on-one time with the big-kid. As I said, they are technically superior, but do have disadvantages. Not only are they tough to find (most buy on SWAP, I imported), but also when folded they are very, very long which can make them a hassle to transport.

OK, so we have covered that. DON'T let anyone convince you that you can "just sling a baby" while the toddler rides with a sibling. That advice only comes from non-twin moms or parents who didn't get out much alone with all 3 very much. It is incredibly hard to deal with Baby A's blow-out diaper while you are wearing Baby B. And don't get me started on spit-up.

The one must-have twin stroller is a Snap N Go Double. It is a universal carseat carrier which holds 2. It can be steered one-habnded (with practice) so for shorter outings, you can hold the toddler's hand while you run in for diapers or mail a package. The basket is HUGE, it weighs less than 20 lbs, folds small, costs under $100, and is a basic godsend for those of us who are on our own with twins a good part of the day and like to get out.

Good luck!! Take care!!

Stephanie
Hardy 11/17/01
Blythe Katherine and Charlotte Maeve 3/24/04

Tondi G
11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I would look into the Valco double with the toddler seat or the ABC as the previous poster suggested. I recently remember someone saying they made their Phil and Teds E3 into a triple by attaching a buggy board (ride on platform) for their oldest child and used the double kit! I did a search and found it... has pics and everything!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=14&topic_id=78344&mesg_id=78344&listing_type=search

Definetly search Craigslist for a second hand double snap and go cause I have heard they are a MUST HAVE for moms of twins... especially for doctors visits etc. Chances are in the beginning you will be going out with another adult so they can push your 2 year old in the P3 and you can put the babies in the snap and go!

HTH's you!
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

gatorsmom
11-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Wow! That add-on buggy board has a seat! I've been trying to figure out how to attach a 4 year old, 2 year old and new born to a stroller (I like to keep my kids contained when I go anywhere- call me paranoid) and this could be the way! Best of all, that buggy board has a seat so I could go for my long walks that I love in the summer with all three kids in the stroller and I wouldn't have to worry about my 4 year old's legs getting tired. This could be the answer to my question about how to find a manueverable triple stroller! or quad if the need ever arises!!!! yeah!!!!

sddancer
12-01-2006, 12:44 PM
thanks for all your replies... although i did a bit of research and it doesn't seem like the phil and ted's twin is more expensive than the valco twin roundabout? both seemed around $600.

hardysmom
12-01-2006, 03:27 PM
DON'T do a P&T with newborn twins... I had one when my twin girls were about 1 and it was fine at that point, though I did end up selling it to get the ABC. Even the P&T website doesn't recommend for twins!

First, you don't have enough recline in 2 seats for your babies until at least 1 is old enough to sit up. The back seat doesn't recline at all. Second, while in doubles mode, you have NO onboard storage, which is something you need w/ infant twins.

Plus, particulary with a set of twins, I wouldn't put a 2 yr old sibling on the ride-on seat as their only seat. Unless your child is EXTREMELY diciplined (and what 2 yr old is?) you need something for REAL containment. I mean, if your 2 yr old descides to throw a tantrum or refuses to stay on the seat, what are you going to do? This is one of those twin-specific things. You can't push your stroller any distance while carrying an angry 2 yr old, nor can you abandon your twins to run off and catch a run-away toddler. And imagine as you consider carrying the toddler who is throwing a fit-- you are ALREADY carrying your HUGE diaper bag, a couple of shopping bags (since the P&T has no storage), AND there is a toddler-board rigged up to the already slightly awkward stroller so you can't push with a normal stride... Sounds great, huh? I have been there...

If you really want a board, the Valco also makes a ride-on called a hitchhiker, or you could probably used the One Step Ahead one with a seat (I think that is what is in the P&T triple photo) on a Valco once your child is a little older or in places you don't want the toddlerseat.

Finally, though there are advantages of tandems, almost all twin moms who don't LOVE their Graco DuoGliders (and there are a lot who do) end up with SBS. The steering is better and it is easier to handle the babies when they are next to each other. For example, in restaurants you can leave them in the stroller at the table.

Stephanie

sddancer
12-19-2006, 05:27 PM
thanks, i was confused between the p&t and the abc... oops! i definitely don't think a toddler board will work either, he DOES need to be contained. he would probably be better suited to a leash! :D

thanks for the help, i will keep doing some research.

i think i'll just get a snap n go double for the beginning few months and hope for the best with the toddler... i just don't know how all of this is going to work, yikes!

hardysmom
12-19-2006, 05:50 PM
The first few months are tricky, but it does get easier with time...

Take care. Post if you have any more questions.

Stephanie