PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the Phil and Ted?

lrgeller
12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking of buying one, but I'd like to know if anyone's used one of these before...

Thanks!

hardysmom
12-18-2006, 05:42 PM
tons of them on this board. Do an "advanced search" just on the stroller board. Many people abbreviate it as "P&T" or simply "e3" so you might include those in the search field.

They are great for many people. Most that don't like them have had specific problems, for instance, my rear rider would grab the wheels and the lack of storage was a problem.

On the other hand, they are pretty well made and steer really well. I have twins so I ALWAYS need a double, but if I had "normal" siblings who both didn't always ride, it would have been very much worth the trouble.

good luck, stephanie

skipspin
12-19-2006, 11:23 AM
So far I have really enjoyed mine, but I've only used it as a double a few times while I was babysitting. In March I will have a 3.5 yr old that walks s l o w and still rides at least half of the time (and even sleeps in the stroller) and a newborn.

I've use it in doubles with my DD (3 yrs, 33 lb) and a 2 month old (infant position) 5 month old (in front seat, toddler/toddler mode) and an 8 month old (in front seat, toddler/toddler mode.) My DD likes the back seat so I let her sit there even though P&T recommends the lighter child in back. It's not tippy at all as long as something is in the front seat so I am happy with it. I was also surprised how well the very small 5 month old did in the front seat w/out it reclined. He was awake for the walk, but very comfy and not slouched at all.

If I needed a double for two kids closer in age I would have gotten a SBS twin too, but I think I will use my e3 a lot!

C99
12-19-2006, 01:01 PM
I just got one and I love it. If you do a search on this board, you'll come up with some of the cons (like the fact that in doubles mode, the basket becomes useless/filled with feet) and the pros (like the fact that it's easy to push one-handed even loaded with two kids, the turn radius is small, is great for small spaces/shopping, and has an awesome, compact fold). I took it out today shopping on Chicago's Mag Mile and several people commented to me that it was "the coolest looking stroller [they'd] ever seen." And my DD fell asleep in the backseat, which I think is the best testament to a stroller's comfort for its riders (my kids are not stroller sleepers as a matter of course).

andie16
12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
We really like ours too. So far have only used it in infant/toddler mode. We got an insert for the infant section to make it more cozy and I recently added some saddle bags and a console with drink holders for a trip to Disney World that were definitely handy to have for extra storage. The stroller steers well and is not terribly hard to fold and put in the car, although I would not want to do it everyday or for lots of errands. Mostly we use ours for walks in the neighborhood or all-day trips (e.g., the zoo). For errands, I put the baby in the Zippy and my 3 y.o. walks.

theMama
12-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I got mine a few weeks ago, and I love it! I just got back from Christmas shopping at Old Navy & used it in the Infant/Toddler mode. I was so happy that it steered one-handed so that I could hold clothes with my other hand. My almost 3-year old sat happily in front while my infant slept in back.

I'm so pleased to have a narrow double stroller that steers like a breeze.

Dette
http://b3.lilypie.com/i3lBm5/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/Wvfpm6.png[/img][/link]

bubbaray
12-21-2006, 12:26 AM
The weight limit on the toddler seat takes it out of the running for me.

They are quite popular here, though.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

searchdog
12-21-2006, 07:54 AM
I am watching this thread as well. I am thinking about buying one to use with my new baby and DD#1 who will be 2yrs 10 months when the baby is born.

Anyone know of any good deals on them right now?

C99
12-21-2006, 11:54 AM
You can e-mail Jo at Let's Go Strolling. I know she has free shipping, and offers a discount to Strollerqueen clients, and there is a special on the orange one w/ doubles kit right now. There is also someone selling a green one w/ doubles kit on StrollerSWAP for $375 + shipping.

lrgeller
12-21-2006, 12:43 PM
What IS the weight limit on toddlers?

stonecali
12-21-2006, 01:16 PM
>What IS the weight limit on toddlers?

In the front seat - 55 lbs
In the toddler seat - 33 lbs
Total for kids in both front and back - 88 lbs

bubbaray
12-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, see, that's the thing for me.

My understanding is that the weight limit for the toddler seat, whether it is in newborn mode (hooked up high on the front of the stroller) or toddler mode (at the back of the stroller) is 33lbs. It is the main seat, that the stroller comes with (not the doubles seat) that holds 55lbs, regardless of whether the stroller is used by 1 or 2 children. I could be wrong -- I haven't owned the stroller and am going from web-info.

My understanind is also if your 2 are close in age, or you get the stroller when #2 is older (and can be the one in the toddler seat, while #1 is in the main seat), it works. I can't see it working for me, though. DD#1 is 2.5 and 29lbs. She'll have a few months in the toddler seat in front, with DD#2 in the main seat in newborn mode. But, what if DD#1 reaches 33lbs before DD#2 is comfortable being upright in the toddler seat in the rear of the stroller?

FWIW, StrollerQueen says that some e3 frames have bent when the toddler seat used over the recommended weight and she suggests the weight limits on the e3 are something you should adhere to.

I do love the green e3 though!

Melissa

swampnurse
12-21-2006, 11:11 PM
i was under the impression that the toddler seat, when placed up front on top, didn't have a weight limit. Oh well, I just used it for several months with my 40lb 2 y/o up top in the toddler seat and my newborn in the main seat reclined as a bassinet. Stroller seems to have suffered no injuries!

Now my baby is 4 months and prefers to sit up straight in the toddler seat in teh back while my 2 y/o now rides in the main seat.

LOVE this stroller and sure wish i had known about it when i had my first. Would have saved me money and teh trouble i went through to sell my single Zooper that I barely used. I now recommend it to anyone having their first child.

bubbaray
12-21-2006, 11:46 PM
I read conflicting things about the weight limits in the different modes.

TIA
Melissa

theMama
12-22-2006, 05:42 PM
This is from my "E3 Survival Guide" (manual) regarding the weight limits on the stroller:

"Buggy in single or BABY & TODDLER configuration is intended for children up to 4 years or maximum weight of 88lbs. In double configuration the recommended max load 55lbs in front seat and 33lbs in the rear seat."

So if I'm interpreting it right, there is no weight limit on the extra seat when placed in front in the "baby & toddler configuration" except the max weight limit of 88lbs on the entire stroller. The extra seat has a weight limit of 33lbs only when placed on the rear of the stroller, which is understandable considering it has little support from the frame of the main stroller in the rear position. In the front position, I believe the extra seat leans on the main stroller frame for support.

I hope this helps. So this stroller should be an option to the previous posters.

Dette
http://b3.lilypie.com/i3lBm5/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/Wvfpm6.png[/img][/link]