PDA

View Full Version : I think I want a Maclaren Quest

khalloc
12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
My DD is almost 14 months old. Right now I have a P3 and a MBUS. I leave the P3 in my car and use it for trips to the mall. The MBUS is for around the neighborhood and longer trips where I think it would be easier to use than the P3.

Anyways, I am finding the P3 to be too big for shopping in busy stores. I run over people with it and sometimes cant navigate very well in busy areas. Alot of times after shopping for 30+ minutes my DD gets sick of sitting in it and then I have to pick her up and push the P3 around! Ugh!

I would like a small umbrella stroller to use instead of the P3. The Maclaren looks like my DD would be more "where the action is". I think she feels to far removed from things in the P3 - does that makes sense? I dont know what I would do with the P3. My DH is totally against another stroller. He thinks the P3 is fine and dandy. I will definitely have at least 1 more baby in the next 2 years so I could keep the P3 to use with the next one. Which brings me to my next question - is it crazy to buy another single stroller? Should I wait to buy another stroller when I have to buy a double one?

If I do get a Quest (or any other Maclaren that you might recommend), who has the best price? I see them on ebay so that is an option as well.

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
12-20-2006, 03:18 PM
The Mac sits lower than the P3, plus the seat angle is different (more reclined, even in its most upright position). I'd try before buying because she may hate it even more than the P3, at this age. When my DS1 was that age, I liked the P3 best for shopping because he could use the tray to snack on Cheerios - that was the only distraction that really worked for us at that age!

Niki_n_Abby
12-20-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't think a Quest would solve your problem. When my dd was that age I had to use something with a tray. I had to be able to put snacks or small(tethered) toys on the tray for her to play with. Otherwise, like your dd, she would get bored and want to be carried. Also, Macs sit much lower so she'd be even farther from you and "the action." I really never found Macs to be much better for crowded places then any other stroller. Wheels are wheels and if you are in a tight space navigation is a problem.

One trick I used with dd as a toddler was to put the leg rest up, recline the seat all the way, pull the hood back to the handles so I could see her, let the harness out as far as it would go then strap dd in and sit her in the middle of the stroller. She had a lot more room that way, could interact with me more and it was like she was in a little rolling playpin. I could put toys and small books in the stroller behind her and she could play and not loose things.

Niki

jbrandy
12-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I bought my Mac Quest when DS was 20 months old. I have LOVED it ever since. I use it for just what you are talking about -- Shopping at the mall, walking, day trips, took it on a plane to Florida this summer, etc.... It is the greatest investment I ever made. I have a Skip Hop diaper bag that works great on the handles. Not having a snack tray was not an issue for us. I bought mine for $135 NIB off of ebay. Now my DS is 3.5 and the stroller looks like brand new. It is definately something I would recommend!

Beth B
DS 4.4.03
#2 DS due 4.30.07

shilo
12-24-2006, 06:48 PM
definitely try before you buy if you can! my ds is really pretty laid back (not picky) when it comes to how upright the back rest is, so i'm no help there, but i can tell you that i could never use my quest as my everyday stroller. my ds likes to climb in himself, and the quest is way to tippy for me to let him do that on a regular basis, even without a diaper bag or purchases on the handles. and the basket is - well - tiny. even if you are used to side access given that you have a P3, it's still something you need to look closely at if you're thinking of using it as your everyday stroller. plenty of people do, and love it for that purpose, but for me, it's not the right stroller. if you try one out in person and do decide it's the right stroller for you, try albeebaby.com. they regularly have them as low as $139, free shipping, NIB.

fwiw, i love the quest for travel, the rest of the time it stays at grams and grampa's house for short trips to the park, etc. when i switched to a lightweight, quick fold, everyday stroller when my DS was about 16mos, i went with the inglesina espresso and have been quite happy with that. but i didn't need an umbrella fold or an upright seating position, so it's definintely not the stroller for everyone.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.