PDA

View Full Version : Zooper Zydeco or Zooper Boogie??

zembaby
12-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi All,

I'm expecting baby #1 in May and going crazy researching strollers.
I think I like the Zooper strollers because they have most of the features I am looking for: fully reclining seat, reversible handle, 12 inch tires etc.
The new Zoopers look wonderful! Much lighter than previous years. Has anyone seen them?
I have several questions about Zooper strollers for owners:
1) Does anybody have the carseat adapter? I am trying to figure out whether it installs over the seat or whether the seat has to be removed (like in the MBUS) but I can't find any information about it.
2) Has anyone experienced the early rust problem that is mentioned in several places? Was customer service helpful?
3) Zooper website lists the extra accessories like rain/sun covers as 'optional' but most of the websites that sell Zoopers list them as coming with the stroller - does anybody know if they come with the 2007 models?
4) Is the seat fabric removable/washable?
5) Does anybody have the optional bassinet? any thoughts about it?
6) Finally, does anyone has thoughts about Boogie vs. Zydeco? They seem very similar. I am going to try to have this stroller be my only one stroller for everything so should I prefer one over the other?

I know these are a lot of questions... any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :-)

nfowife
12-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi Congrats on your upcoming arrival! I had a 2005 Boogie, so some of my answers might not apply, but here they are:
1) The adapter is not an adapter. Rather it is a strap for you to secure the carseat into the seat of the stroller, like where you would put the seatbelt strap on the carseat if you weren't using the base. You do not remove the seat of the stroller, just recline it all the way to fit the carseat in there. You might not even need to use the strap if your seat fits securely in there, honestly. I never used mine with a carseat though, but I did use my other zooper (a 2005 swing, now called the hula) with my carseat a few times and it fit fine without the strap.
2)My Boogie actually came with a small rust spot under the footrest (not visible). I didn't call CS since it was new, I called the retailer and they offered me some of my $$ back, and I took that since it was such a tiny spot and not a big deal to me. I've had good experiences communicating with their CS though, and wouldn't hesitate to call them with any concerns, as well as with your retailer after inspecting it when you receive it.
3)Maybe they are listed as optional because they aren't permanently attached to the stroller- they snap on? Not sure. Both my zoopers came with footmuffs, rain covers, and sunshades. My Boogie also came with a tire pump.
4) I did not try to remove the seat fabric- you can email zooper and ask about this though. I also have an older zooper (the skipper model, it's like a pram) and I did remove that fabric to wash it easily. I don't know why it wouldn't be do-able but you should ask CS if it is important to you.
5)No, and I don't think it's really necessary unless you live in someplace like NYC- the seat reclines all the way, can face you, and the footrest folds up to enclose the seat, almost like a bassinette. Just fine IMO.
6) I liked my Boogie just fine, I think the main difference is the zydeco is supposed to have a better suspension? Not sure. My boogie was very well made and solid!

Just want to clarify 2 things- 1) the handle is not reversible; the SEAT is reversible. You cannot go from rearfacing to forward facing with baby in the seat. 2) If you are a suburban mom, I cannot imagine using this as your only stroller for all the time. Even at the lighter weight (which will help a lot) it is quite a large stroller and I can't imagine using it at the mall or other semi-tight place. I kept mine in the garage and only took it in the car for the park or zoo a few times, and that was enough. The fold is very large. But it is a great stroller overall!

BayAreaMom
01-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi,
I posted a long review of the boogie under the parent product review section that you can read. I wasn't very happy with the boogie- I had a 2005- and they have gotten lighter- but my main complaint was the difficulty of the fold, and the bulk when folded. (I should note I also have a Zooper Swing, which is my medium sized everyday stroller, which i think is good but the steering sucks so I probably wouldn't recommend that either). The Boogie was so horrible that it wasn't worth keeping. The fold design was difficult (meaning, I couldn't remember how to do it), it took both hands (impossible to do when holding an infant), and kept pinching my fingers. The BJCS fold is hands-down the best, but the BOB is also pretty easy.

Of course, I did a lot of research before I bought it, and thought it would be a perfect stroller until I used it a few times. When you actually have a few strollers you realize what's important and what's not. There is no way the Boogier (or any all-terrain) could be my only stroller- it's much too big to use for shopping or tight spaces like restaurants, dr. offices, etc. I replaced the Boogie with a BOB Revolution, which only gets used for long walks outside. Single-purpose, yes, but it's awesome for that!

A few thoughts:
- reversible handle may not be important- when you put the carseat in, it will face you, and after your baby is out of the carseat she'll want to face forward to look at things. I used the carseat adapter when my daughter was in her snugride, and it worked really well. At about 4 months old she was finally big enough to be strapped into the stroller without the carseat.
-If you use the carseat in the stroller, you probably won't need the bassinet. Although babies shouldn't spend a lot of time in the carseat, newborns sleep a lot, so you'll be driving and they'll fall asleep, then you'll stop, and just pop their carseat into the stroller to keep them sleeping. Obviously if you moved from the carseat to the bassinet or vice-versa they would wake up!
-The Zydeco is a fancier version of the Boogie. You'd be better off saving some $$ and buying an all-terrain, and a lighter smaller stroller for everyday use.

Hope this helps.

Darcy

seeks1
01-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I also have a 2005 Boogie. I love mine. But, I bought it planning on pretty much using it only for a daily walks for our DP (dear puppy) and on the rare occasions we go somewhere where the big tires and basket would be nice. So far DS is 8 months old and the Boogie has never been in the car. However, I have used it at least 4 times a week, more than my car stroller. We found out now that we have DS that Mama doesn't always get to go on DP's walk so it isn't used every day but it has been great. I used it with the car seat at first only because DS would scream in any stroller but loved his car seat. Once I got him in the stroller (at about 6 weeks)I love having him face me. He likes it too.

Like PP's said, I would not use it as my only stroller. It is very bulky when folded. My car seat just popped right in (chicco key fit) and I didn't even use the strap. Mine came with all the accessories. Don't know if the current model year does. Zooper's CS is very good. Try calling them.

I haven't noticed any rust but I should probably check it out.

The fabric on mine comes off and can be washed.
I didn't feel the need for a bassinet. The way the foot of the seat can be put up pretty much makes a bassinet.
I think the Zydeco just has nicer fabrics but the fabric on my Zooper is pretty nice.

I also have a 2006 Waltz that I love. That is my car stroller. I have really enjoyed my Zoopers. Now, I have never had another stroller but I have pushed friends and like mine just fine. When we decide to have number 2 I am going to seriously think about a Zooper Tango.

mommyapb
01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Hello:

I have a 2005 Zydeco in Black Denim. Love the stroller--the suspension is AWESOME. Unfortunately we have too many & I am looking to sell it. I am not trying to break any board rules, but just wanted to say that if you are interested let me know.

As far as answers to your questions:
1) ditto prior posts
2) No rust issues at all
3) Mine came with all the accessories
4) Yes, I have washed it 2 times and has turned out great.
5) I have the bassinet but never used it. The seat reclines nearly flat so we just put dd in the seat with the boot from day one.
6) The zydeco has a wonderful suspension system. I would highly rec. getting it over the boogie.

HTH

zembaby
01-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Hi There,
I just found a Zooper Zydeco 2006 on Craiglist in my area so we are probably going to check it out but thanks for the offer! And if it doesn't work out I will contact you for details.

I thought I will also post the answer from Zooper CS.

I will attempt to answer your questions as best I can.

1) The car seat attaches to the stroller with the seat in place. The
seat needs to be in the forward facing position, you place the car seat facing the parent in the seat, and attach it via a strap that is included with the stroller.

2) The Zooper website is an international website, and so lists all of the accessories as optional. For the US market our strollers include the rain cover, sunshade, cup holder, and in the case of the Zydeco a sleeping bag, and the Boogie a foot muff.

3) The seat covers are removable and washable, gentle cycle, gentle
detergent, drip dry or no heat.

4) The bassinet will cost about $75.00 and will only be available
through us to start. We have placed a limited order with the factory and will receive them in sometime in the next few months.

5) The rust was a problem with the 2004 models. The rivets that were
used were not rust resistant, and this caused a problem. I have only seen one stroller since the 2004 models with a rust issue, and it was a stroller that had been left wet in a garage for several days before a proper cleaning. We strive to make sure all of our parts are quality, but you still need to use a little common sense when performing basic maintenance on your stroller.
Always dry the stroller thoroughly if it becomes wet.

6) The main difference is that the Zydeco is an upscale version of the Boogie. The Zydeco was designed with a newborn infant in mind, and so it features added safety features such as: plusher fabrics, better suspension in the seat, re-designed linked rear brakes with the lock on the push bar,and they are much more attractive than the Boogie.

mommyapb
01-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Sounds good--I'll be happy to give you any info you need. :)

Just wanted to let you know that our stroller is a 2006 made in 2005. I always forget that strollers are like cars the model year is the year before they were made--so confusing :)

ETA: Not sure where you are located but I'm in the Chicagoland area.

strollerqueen
01-07-2007, 03:39 AM
We've been having a big discussion about this over on Strollerswap. The 2007's are NOT lighter, they are actually HEAVIER than the 2006's. Read the fine print and you will see that the weight of the components are now listed separately. You may be looking at just the weight of the frame and seat fabric. The wheels, canopy, basket, bumper bar, etc. are now listed as separate weights.

zembaby
01-07-2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks. I missed that when I first looked at the site. It's pretty sneaky. I love the stroller but I am not too happy with their marketing methods!
I still think we'll get the Zydeco since the baby is due in May and I think we will be spending a lot of time outside. And probably also something light for quick trips to the mall.

eep17
01-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi-
Just wanted to let you know that we purchased the 2007 Zooper Zydeco and it is AWESOME!

zembaby
01-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks! We ended up getting the Zydeco 2006 from craigslist. We are really happy with it. In fact, I keep wanting to take it out and try it, but I think I need to wait until the baby is actually here :)
Also, Zooper's CS was truely wonderful! They emailed me a user guide since I didn't have one and answered all my questions very quickly.

To all those that are interested, they also told me what the differences between the 06 and 07 models were:
The
> 2007 model has the added
> features of a cup holder, the smoothed out chassis
> front, the black liquid
> coating on the frame, the brakes on the push bar
> instead of at the wheel,
> and an added color (Hunter Green).

So, I wish I also had the break on the pushbar (older strollers cannot be retrofitted to have this feature), but overall I am very happy I was able to find it used in a good condition.

:)