PDA

View Full Version : Due in February...I know I need a double, BUT..................

Lovingliv
01-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't want one. I have a P3 that i love. I can't bear the thought of getting a big clanky stoller.

Any ideas? I strictly need a mall type stroller and have a Bob for running. What's a good double around $300 ish bucks?

C99
01-01-2007, 05:42 PM
You don't need a double. Especially if Liv likes to walk a lot. You could do the p3 and just let Liv ride on the standing part, or sling the new baby and put Liv in the seat of the P3.

Tondi G
01-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Inglesina Twin Swift? It isn't perfectly suited for a newborn but you could use the P3 for a bit and put the baby in a bjorn/sling then move on to the Twin Swift! Lots of people who have one for indoor situations love them!

nfowife
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I got a really great condition used Peg Tender Twin on ebay with local pick up and I think it would be great! Plus it has the great peg floating harnesses. And my infant seat sits securely in the back seat position (sideways). I plan to use it as my mall stroller for at least the first few months. I cannot trust DD enough to not have a stroller option for her just yet!

kijip
01-01-2007, 11:59 PM
I would try to go without one if you really don't want it. You could sling the love bug while Olivia rides or let the baby ride while Olivia walks. Still, since Olivia is less than 2 years old, you might decide that a double would be a good idea. See how it goes without one and then decide. :)

rl42382
01-02-2007, 08:23 AM
rachel l.

i was at a local store in my area called oh baby looking at doubles i am due feb. 3 so i am going with the valco twin but the lady showed me a really new and nice car/mall double a maclaren triumph double very light and under 250 the store has a website www.ohbabygifts.com but it is so new it just came in so it is not up online yet. you can call about it though. it might be a good solution for you my daughter will be 2 1/2 febuary 18th but she is very active and we do lots of local walking and shopping in our area so i need a solid walking stroller. otherwise i would go with this maclaren for it's light weight, compact car/mall crawler features.

Niki_n_Abby
01-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Inglesina Twin Swift! I put off a double forever and really wish I had gotten my Twin Swift much earlier. My older dd is 4 but INSISTS on riding so I put her in the stroller and carried the baby. That was fine until the baby started getting heavy or I had to boot dd#1 from the stroller to change the baby.

I really didn't want a big double but I LOVE the Twin Swift. I really isn't big, pushes like a dream and both kiddos are happy. The baby is 4 months and perfectly fine and a newborn would be fine with a snuzzler. The recline isn't flat but it is enough that I can change the babies diaper. It folds about the same size as my DHs golf bag and the third handle makes it really easy to push. We fit everywhere, I've really been suprised.

I got mine at Albeebaby.com for $179 and free shipping.

http://www.specialtybaby.com/in20swdostin1.html

Niki

Lovingliv
01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks mamas....see that is exactly it. I would LOVE if I could just sling the love bug and have Liv walk....but I had the bjorn. It really hurt my back. So I am thinking of getting KKAFP.
I would also LOVE if she would walk,,,but she is VERY unpredictable. She loves to just run....fast. Faster than her big old Mama can right now!
I may just wait....like I said, I hate to waste the P3...and I would never resell it. I will look into the other suggestions too!

mom2jakobandlukas
01-02-2007, 09:57 AM
i'm gonna miss using my p3 too,but like you i won't sell it!

Joolsplus2
01-02-2007, 12:15 PM
LOVE the KKAFP, I won't even go on about it...
Kids are fickle, they will like to walk at 2, and then may decide they have to ride at 5, and you're stuck with a tired big kid whining to ride, or they are riding, while the little kid is off running away.... So keep an open mind about having a light SBS on hand or get a Volo for days when you have both parents to push... it'll be worth it to your sanity :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Piglet
01-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Here is the wonderful thing about a good single - you will get a lot more use out of it in years to come. I use my single SO much more than my double, it is unbelievable that I spent as much as I did on my double Maclaren! There was a short period when both my DSs were riders. More often than not, one wants to ride and one wants to walk. As a result, I now bring my single out with me because I got tired of having a huge stroller with only one rider in it.

If you think about it, unless you have twins, a single really is the workhorse of your collection. You often start with 1 rider and one in a carrier, then there is a stretch when you have 2 riders and then 1 gets old enough to want to walk and the you are back to 1 rider. I bought an E3 for this very reason - I get to bring a double in the car without actually bringing a double, if that makes sense. If I could do it all again, I would have had a single with a footboard (like the P3) as my main single so that my older rider could catch a ride if needed.

lrg
01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi there! I think I'm in a similar predicament, but I don't understand all of your lingo with the acronyms in these answers. Everyone seems to be in the know, but I haven't looked into strollers in over 3 years. What is the P3? Or E3?

I'm expecting in March and my older will be 4. He does sometimes like to ride in the stroller (depends on the day and place), but I know this will be short-lived. Maybe a year? To get through that time, I'm hoping I can find something with the following features:

sturdy stroller (but not too bulky) that will snap in a Graco Snugride and has a jumpseat or standing type feature on it. I saw someone in Disney World with one just like this - it was light weight, she said she used the Snugride with it (and it wasn't a Graco) and had a jumpseat on the back. It wasn't huge, and also had a decent storage basket underneath. Overall, the stroller looked lighter and less bulky than the old Graco travel system I already own. (I'd use that to get by, but my husband left it outside for over 2 months and all of the fabric, basket, canopy got really nasty)Anyway, of course I forgot what brand it was or the name. Only recall the awesome features.

Since I have to buy something anyway to replace the travel sys stroller, I'd like to add on the convenience of toting my DS around, even if it's not for long. (which is why I don't want it to be a prominent feature)

Can someone help me???? Thanks so much!!!!

alexsharp
01-05-2007, 01:29 PM
It sounds like the lady at Disney had a Sit and Stand stroller by Baby Trend:
http://www.strollerdepot.com/moreinfo.php?SKU=1005&logsite=google&logkey=baby+trend&gclid=CKGX25ryyYkCFRTTgAod4F95Mg

I know alot of people are happy with it especially with a toddler that doesn't always want to walk or always sit. Plus they are affordable. If I wasn't expecting twins - I would have looked into that one. Instead I just invested in a Valco twin - which has an option of a toddler seat that attaches where a bumper bar goes.

Alex
mom to Alyssa 5/4/01 and Nicholas 10/3/03
and identical twins due 3/07!

maestramommy
01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Echoing the pp that suggest slinging the baby, while the toddler rides. I would do that first, and see if it works for you, before going out to buy a twin. That is going to be my strategy, since we really don't have space for a twin stroller. I'm holding out unless it's a completely miserable situation.

mommy2cutieboys
01-06-2007, 09:37 AM
What is a "KKAFP"? I have a an almost 3 year old (will be 3 at the end of March) and a 5 month old. I've been using a single more and letting my older son walk. I'm still debating this whole "double" issue. I bought a graco duoglider from a friend, in like new condition, she was buying a SBS Peg Aria!! The duoglider weighs a ton, so I'm really hesitant about going out with it. I think I'm going to sell the duoglider and try to get a gently used Mac Twin Traveller or similar on Ebay or something. But this is such a pain in the a#!%!!!! Good luck and let me know what finally works for you, as for me. I'm still stumped : (

Thanks,
Sandra

shilo
01-07-2007, 04:02 AM
P3 = peg perego pliko P3. it is an umbrella folding full featured single with a footboard on back. if you like the looks of it, you'd want to compare it with an inglesina zippy and a chicco C5 --- ETA C1 not C5 sorry. C1 is their full featured umbrella fold, C5 is their lightweight umbella meant for older babies/toddlers --- sorry if i confused anyone. i think zooper also makes something in the same class, but i'm not sure it has the toddler step?

E3 = phil and teds E3 - also known as a kiwi i think??? it is an all terrain stroller that you can get a 'doubles kit' for. it is kind of like a little hammock seat that goes underneath the main seat. initially i think you put the newborn down there and let the older kiddo ride up front, then you switch them? i don't think there is really anything comparable on the market right now?

front jump seats that are removeable i can think of would be on a valco or bumbleride queen B - i'm sure they have weight limits tho, so you're 4 year old may not fit. rear jump seats other than the baby trend sit and stand would be the joovy caboose and i think fisher price makes one now. the problem with these would be that they don't meet your criterion for the jump seat not being a 'prominent feature' - since they are always there. you can also kind of make a 'do it yourself' form of this with a single stroller and adding a rider board or bike. examples would be the swiss strolli or buggy board/kiddie board. obvious advantage would be, once your 4 y.o. doesn't want to ride anymore, you just take it off.

and you didn't ask, but just in case, kkafp is a kind of sling - a kangaroo korner adjustable fleece pouch.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

lrg
01-07-2007, 09:51 AM
VERY helpful! Thank you so much!!!!

MarieBunny
01-08-2007, 11:38 PM
You don't have to have a double. I don't have a double stroller yet and have gotten by just fine without one so far. It being winter I haven't been going on too many outdoor walks, and since my toddler won't let me shop, I simply don't go to the mall. If I do go, it's always with my DH and we take 2 single strollers, which is nice so we can split up in case I need to go nurse or want to shop for something different, and he can take DS to the play area.

Anywhere else we go my DS walks holding my hand alongside the stroller. I bought a toddler seat for my Valco single and have only used it a couple of times. Mostly I use my Graco Metrolite which accepts my Snugride carseat. Maybe when DD outgrows the carseat and it's warmer out, we'll use the Valco more (DH is already busting me for buying it). I haven't decided if I need a sit n stand or SBS double yet.

You will always go back to your P3 as you will always need a single at times so you won't be wasting it at all. My advice is wait and see and don't rush out and buy something you think you need.

Sillygirl
01-09-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm also due in February and I went ahead and bought the double stroller already. Taking long afternoon walks during maternity leave helped my figure and my sanity, and Jonathan can't walk three miles. My single stroller is a Combi Ultra Savvy and I've loved it all along, so I got the Twin Savvy from babyage.com and it's coming in a few days. It retails for about $250 but it's on clearance right now for $200 (plus free shipping, and 4% off with Ebates.) It was too good a deal to pass up so I went ahead and got it. I won't be able to test drive it with two kids for a little while longer, but I'm really excited. Combi doesn't seem to get much attention here but I think it's a great stroller.

mom2jakobandlukas
01-10-2007, 08:31 AM
sit n stand has a plus version now too with TWO seats,the back one removes

gatorsmom
01-14-2007, 12:59 AM
If you really don't want to get rid of your P3, why not look into something like this:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/86219/455758/117.html

You can probably rig a seat belt onto it and your toddler can face you and get some much needed face-to-face toddler-mommy attention.

Or, you could try something like this:

http://daddytypes.com/2006/10/06/the_buggypod_is_a_sidecar_for_your_stroller.php

And there was even a thing you could attach to your stroller that looked like the back of a tandem bike. Let's see if I can find it:

http://www.barebabies.com/hastswstri1.html

Any of those would turn your P3 into a double when you need it. I think the Buggy Pod looks neat and will fold up flush against the side of your stroller if you want it out of the way. Course, the One Step Ahead seat will put your toddler behind the stroller making it easier for mall shopping (those SBS strollers are tough to manuever through the really skinny aisles).

HTH!

heatherlynn
01-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I saw a woman pushing the OSA one and the wheels were wobbling like crazy. I was thinking of getting one, but not after I saw that. It looked terrible! Just an FYI.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

mom2jakobandlukas
01-14-2007, 12:17 PM
that side buggy looks awesome!!!! i may have to look into that! thank you for sharing

rl42382
01-15-2007, 08:10 AM
rachel l.

the problem with the buggy pod is getting it. i so far haven't found a place that would ship from the uk to the us. but some one on the stroller swap got it. i want it for my zippy. i am expecting dd #2 Feb 3, 2007 so i already intend to by the valco double as my walking stroller but for the occasional car trips i need the buggy pod for our compact hundyi trunk so we can go away one option was get a car double that is small and compact but this works out better for me. my aunt and uncle might go to england in the spring so i will see if they can bring it for me.