PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE*United airlines wouldn't let us gate check our Peg perego pliko

Oregonmother
01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
They said they only allow umbrella strollers now. Is this true? I saw all kinds of other huge strollers in the terminals. Should I fight it on our return flight. They said something about they are being fined for allowing items that are to big to be gate checked. I've gate checked it several times before and never had a problem. It may not be an issue on the way home, probably depends on who checks us in. Just thought you all might have some more info.

ETA UPDATE:

Well, I had no problems on the way home and we flew 3 different aircrafts. Who know's I may call United and see what they have to say.

etaylor75
01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
That seems ridiculous!! I checked our Bob Revolution on a United flight from Denver to Honolulu with no problems at all.

I'd fight it. If they won't let you gate check it, they should be able to put it in a plastic bag and check it as baggage....

Erin

mariza
01-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I have never heard of such a thing as no strollers to be gate checked. Yes, it's true that TSA can fine them for allowing items that are to big to be gate checked, but that applies to luggage (that's why they have those luggage size boxes in the terminals). I've checked UA's website and linked you to the TSA page on traveling with children. Neither of these sites mentions not allowing strollers.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1051,00.html

I scoured over all of the baggage sections and there was not a single mention of strollers.

Here is a link to TSA's page on travelling with kids. Again, no mention of strollers not being allowed.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

I would print them up and take with you for back-up. The only thing I can think of is that the individual airport you originally flew out of may have a regulation about strollers. I'm not sure what airport you flew out of, but you can google the airport name and look up travel info on their site. HTH!

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

jeno
01-25-2007, 06:08 PM
xxxxxxx

Oregonmother
01-25-2007, 08:06 PM
We did end up putting it in one of their plastic bags and checked it as baggage, because we had no other choice, but that didn't help when we had 2 lay overs and long treks to gate terminals with 2 kids. I even told the guy and lady at the counter that I had seen jogging strollers checked at the gate before, but it had been about a year since I had flown and they said things had changed.

Oregonmother
01-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the sites. I flew out of Eugene, Oregon which I always do with the same stroller and have never had this problem. I'm hoping that it won't be a problem when I fly home out of Florida.

egoldber
01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I flew United last week with my Peg Venezia and had no trouble. Sorry they gave you a hard time.

JBaxter
01-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I flew from DC to Vegas last weekend and 2 families checked larger graco strollers - one a double. It was a united flight.

EZsmom
01-25-2007, 11:53 PM
I just flew United last week on a SMALL commuter flight and was allowed to gate check my HUGE jogging stroller with no problem.

Kati
01-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Must depend on the airport. I gate checked my Graco Mosaic on two United flights in December. Hope they don't start doing that everywhere!

heather13
01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I haven't had a problem gate checking the SNG but that's been on American and Northwest over the past several months. HOWEVER - when I called NW before our October flight the agent on the phone told me that I'd have to check the stroller with baggage; that rules had changed and gate checking strollers was no longer an option. We decided to risk it and brought our stroller along - fortunately with no problem. But it's sadly possible that the rules actually have changed and a handful of agents are enforcing them. Or possibly some folks are misinterpreting the rules.

I checked United's website but can only find allowances for car seats.