PDA

View Full Version : Help! P3 or similiar now vs something else and umbrella later

kim_mi
01-28-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm trying to decide what to do about a stroller. This is my first baby. Of all the car seats we really like the Chicco Keyfit. I had thought about the Safeseat but it's kinda heavy. Now to decide about the stroller.

I really love how light weight the Peg Perego Pilko is and that it is an umbrella type stroller and you can put a baby seat in it not just the Peg Viaggio. I like that it has a one-handed fold and doesn't seem to take up much room in the trunk of my car. My fiance thinks the stroller is just too expensive and that we should go with the Chicco Key Fit car seat and a Chicco Cortina stroller (their travel set). The Chicco Cortina is really heavy in comparison to the P3 although I do love the storage basket's size. But out of all the heavier strollers, I will say that I like it more. I have not been able to see a C.01 in person and don't want to buy something I haven't seen or felt.

My fear is that we'll end up getting another stroller anyway like a lighter weight umbrella and it would just cost as much as a P3 (or something similiar....I wanted to check out Inglesina's Zippy but there isn't one in the area and I also like the MacClaren Techno XL which I've seen) and an umbrella. What are your thoughts and experiences with strollers? Buy one that you think you'll use througout or end up getting a heavier one and then a lighter umbrella later?

Sangiovese
01-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I have a 6 year old Pliko (using now with my second child), and it is a great all around full-featured stroller. I have never felt like I needed a lighter umbrella stroller. I call it an umbrella stroller on steroids. It folds compactly and can accommodate a newborn through preschooler (my first DD used it until she was 3 1/2 or so).

I agree with you - just pay the money now and the stroller will last through all stages. I know so many people that have bought multiple stroller through different stages, spending the same amount of money. In my opinion, this is why you look at the Baby Bargains book. It isn't about buying a cheap product, but about buying the right product so you aren't buying something else later (and spending more $$).

The Techno also works for newborns to toddler, so it might be something to consider, too. I don't know much about the Zippy, but it sounds like the same deal.

Something else to consider - the weight of the stroller wasn't a big deal to my DH. Lifting a heavy stroller in and out of the trunk is just easier for men with their upper body strength. For me, on the other hand, forget it. The Pliko is relatively lightweight and has a handle on the side that makes it easy to lift into the trunk.

I've seen 2006 models on sale. Here is a 2006 P3 on sale at albeebaby.com.

http://www.specialtybaby.com/pegpep3cl20.html

Enjoy!

lilac0422
01-28-2007, 10:17 PM
It is too bad that you can't find a place to see the C1. We have the C1 and the Keyfit and have been extremely happy with them. We started out with the Mac Techno but my baby did not like it for some reason. We then bought the C1. We should have started with the C1 and saved the Mac for later. She loves the C1 and so do I. I bought it online without ever seeing it. Strollerqueen raved about the C1 and Albee has some patterns for $170. I just couldn't pass up that deal. Personally, I think it is built better than the P3. It has more metal parts that are much less likely to break. Again only my opinion.

If I had it to do again, I would definitely start with a P3/C1/Zippy type stroller (they are basically all the same). Good luck.

Oh and if you get the Keyfit, I am sure you will love it. It has a nice deep shell and although it won't last as long as the Safeseat, I really think you gets your money's worth because of the depth. My LO is pretty small but at almost 5 months is still on the bottom slots with a ton of room to grow. Also, the Keyfit installs in seconds using seatbelt or LATCH.

kim_mi
01-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Is the C1 easy to break down and do you find it to heavy? I think I heard it is heavier than the Cortina and I worry about how heavy it will be for me to lift in and out of the trunk. I also wish I could see a C1 in person. Babies-r-Us doesn't carry them in their stores here. =( And while they can order it, I'd have to pay a higher price getting it from there than from Albee.

Tondi G
01-28-2007, 11:22 PM
I have a P3 now... had a regular Pliko with #1 (but still use it as well sometimes) and we've loved both of our strollers! I just wanted to upgrade when I had #2 and we had bought our pliko gently used so we felt it was justified! It really is a full featured umbrella. I have used the P3 from infancy with a snugride popped on it for quick trips and now use it with my almost 2 year old. On rare occasions my 5 year old who is 70+lbs will complain and sit in it and he's is defiently heavy and makes it hard to push but it keeps on truckin!!!! We love the compact fold (leaves plenty of space for our 2 big dogs in the back of our Durango)... the rear footstep came in handy when we were running late for Kindergarten and my kiddo could jump up on the back! the seat is very upright which my kids seem to like vs the Maclarens and alot of other umbrella strollers that have a sloped seat that forces the child to lean back in the seat more! Overall it's just a great stroller. I've always recommended it to people!

I've heard really great things about the C1 but haven't seen one in person. The Zippy is also supposed to be great I just wasn't thrilled with it when I tried one with my 1st child.... but they have made improvements on it since then!

I don't think you could go wrong with the C1 if you can get a good deal from Albeebaby I would go for it.... I'd check over there too and see if there are any deals on P3's! I have a Safari color P3 (similar to the Toffee) and it worked very nicely with the Explorer color Key Fit that I saw!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

lilac0422
01-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I am pretty sure that it folds the exact same way as the P3. I find it very simple and love that the fold levers are metal not plastic. I don't find it overly heavy at all. Once folded, it is easy to lift in and out of my SUV. I am not sure about the weight compared to the Cortina but I would guess that it is probably not much more. It weighs about the same as the Zippy and maybe I pound more than the P3. I would say that the C1 would be much easier to handle than the Cortina because of the umbrella fold as opposed to the book fold of the Cortina. The Cortina is bulkier when folded and I would think it would be more ackward than the C1. If you want to compare, you could go to BRU and compare the P3 with the Cortina. That would give you a good idea of the differences. The P3 and C1 are very similar.

The Cortina is nice and has a great basket and parent tray. If you decide to go that route, I am sure you will be happy too. Strollers are such a personal thing...ha ha. I hope you find something you love. And yeah I can see why you don't want to pay more from BRU. I can't believe that they are still charging full price. The C1 is being discontinued and I can't believe that BRU doesn't have them on sale. Another reason I love Albee. I have had such great luck with them. And their prices just can't be beat.