PDA

View Full Version : Combi Double Strollers...SBS or Tandem?

mortensenr
02-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I am expecting DS in May of this year and DD will be nearly 2 at that time. I already have a Phil and Teds E3 for our daily dog walks, park outings, etc. We'll be adding on the extra seat and we LOVE that stoller. I also have a Combi City Savvy (single) that I have used to take DD shopping. We have been extremely pleased with the City Savvy; at 11 pounds its so easy to throw in the the trunk and we have used the carry strap when in museums, etc. No complaints for our type of use (mall, stores, no significant bumpy/outdoor terrain). This is the stroller that I am essentially looking to "replace" now with a double.

Having been so happy with our Combi, we have looked at the Combi Twin Savvy in local stores. We really like the stroller quality, features, etc. but are a little concerned about whether a SBS is the way to go. We have no idea whether DD will behave sitting next to DS. More importantly, DD's shoulders looked a little cramped in the SBS...the seats are naturally more narrow to accomodate doorways, etc. I do not intend to insert an infant seat (which I have read definitely cramps the toddler), but we are still concerned about whether there is enough seat width for her to be comfortable (she is tall, but thin...so it's not as if she's extremely 'large').

We got back online then and found the Combi Counterpart, which seemed like it might meet all of our requirements without being as heavy as most tandems. Unfortunatley, I have not been able to find a store in the D.C. area that carries it and I'm nervous about ordering it online without a test drive. The reviews I have seen have not been too favorable (although I saw that many parents also panned the City Savvy, which we loved).

Can anyone help with the following questions:
1. Given an average size 2 year old, how comfortable do they seem to be in a narrow SBS? Do more parents prefer the SBS or the Tandem?
2. Has anyone tried the Counterpart and, if so, how was the steering and quality of the stroller for mall use?
3. Any other stroller recommendations for an affordable (under $250) and not too heavy throw-in-the-trunk stroller?

Thanks,
Robyn

Tanya
02-10-2007, 11:34 PM
I tried the Counterpart with some other doubles. I pushed my 3 year old on carpeting and found it difficult to steer. I thought the SBS were easier to steer, but then the width became an issue. I was in a small USA Baby and couldn't get around really with the SBS or the tandem since I couldn't fit with the SBS and I couldn't get the tandems turned in the narrow aisles/corners.

I also had a Combi single and never really had any complaints about it. I can't remember what kind I had, but it wasn't as light as yours. I seriously don't think you are going to find a light double stroller like that.
So, I don't understand why you wouldn't just use your E3??? That's what I ended up getting for my double and I've been happy with it. We've used it at zoos and malls. It doesn't seem any heavier than my single Combi and it doesn't take up anymore room in the back of the van. I wouldn't carry either around though, but I don't think you'll want to carry around a double no matter what. If you want to do that, maybe take your old single along and use a sling/carrier for the baby?
Anyway, I really like my E3 for the mall and find it steers much better than my old Combi single. I can push one handed. I added the pannier bags and a BOB console for storage and cup holders. I was holding onto my Combi as a single stroller, but I'm finding that I prefer the E3 now.

mortensenr
02-11-2007, 12:12 PM
You know, I hadn't really considered using the E3 like that. When we first purchased the E3, we really had hoped it would be the "magic bullet" stroller, but after a few months we really wanted something even smaller and lighter for mall use--which was achievable with a single stroller. But you make a good point that by the time you select any double stroller it weighs at least as much as the E3 and probably isn't as easy to get around in.

Here's my issue with the E3 (and I'm a little embarrassed to type this, having owned it for nearly 2 years), I really don't like it's fold and loading/unloading it. I wonder if I just never learned to fold it correctly (it was an online purchase as well, since I was on maternity bedrest). It's easy enough to pull the locking pins on either side and then close it "flat" like a pair of scissors, but I've never found any method of KEEPING it closed! I know there's that little strap underneath the front wheel that you can wrap around the front wheel to hug it to the stroller body, but I always seem to have to flip the stroller upside down and all over the place to latch that in place, and it still does nothing to keep the main 'scissor' hinge from opening. So every time I try to load it in my car, it always seems to be flopping open, etc. Hence, I just leave it set up in my garage for our daily neighborhood/park walks and will go to the effort to load it for any significant outings (downtown DC) but have avoided doing so on any regular/daily basis. Is there a simpler way to keep it folded for loading and unloading that I am missing?

Anyway, that's how we ended up with the Combi, which has been exceptionally easy to fold and unfold. I'm definitely going to keep it as a single as well, and may use it in combination with the baby Bjorn at times. It just seems so frustrating that there doesn't seem to be that perfect, lightweight double out there!

Thanks for all your help, Tanya!
Robyn

heatherlynn
02-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I thought the Counterpart steering was terrible. As for the e3, I "pinch" the 2 side clips and then just pick it up from the sides and put it in my van standing up on the handlebar. Then when I take it out, I just grab the sides up high by the handlebar and it unfolds and rolls out of the van. I'm not sure I'm describing it well.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05