PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Quest or Triumph? And when is the best time to find one on sale?

barbarak
02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
What's the main difference between the Quest and Triumph? Do they both have a maximum weight allowance of 55? This would be for a 3 year old to use on trips, etc. Also, the sales now on 2006 Maclarens, do they get a little cheaper? I've been scouting Marshalls and TJMaxx and haven't found any strollers in those places. Is it a certain time of year they show up at the big discount places? Thanks

doberbrat
02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm sure there are other diff but the main diff to me is the extendable leg rests on the quest. I'm pretty sure the quest has more reclines as well.

I'd say a triumph would be more than adequate for a 3yo. if you have friends/family in other areas, have them check at their tjmaxx/marshalls I did find one at mine but I returned it b/c of the leg rest issue.

its not that expensive to ship via fedex ground (I want to say about $15-20 depending on where)

barbarak
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for responding. So you preferred the Quest because the leg rests are extendable? The cost difference between the strollers isn't that great.

doberbrat
02-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Yup. DD is a stroller hater as it is. I've got 7 strollers (I think). I almost never use any of them b/c she screams. She's better if she is rearfacing but I wanted a small umbrella for quick in/out now that she's 16mo.

In the triumph, she was sitting sideways to hang her leg over the side to give it support. I knew THAT wasnt going to last ;)

I have a friend who has had the triumph since her baby came out of hte travel system (she mostly wore him as well) he has no prob w/dangly legs but I think some of it has to do w/what baby has gotten used to??

the smaller footprint and lighterweight wasnt worth it if she would refuse to sit in it so I returned it and got a Ryder (which I havnet unboxed yet) buyer's remorse on that one I think

andie16
02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I just received my Triumph (2006 model) yesterday and used it for the first time today. I got it for $139.99 from albeebaby.com. The Quest was about $20 more. I debated between the two and went with the slightly smaller one because it fit my needs better. I already have an e3 and a Zippy, but the Zippy is packed away in storage for the next two months and the e3 was just too much of a hassle to take in and out of the car for a quick errand for the baby to ride and the 3yo to walk.

I like it so far and am hoping I'll continue to want to use it as my errand stroller even after I get my Zippy back.

barbarak
02-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input. I ran into someone with a Triumph the other day and she really likes it. I think I'll just go with the Triumph as it is cheaper and really will fit my needs. I haven't found one in TJ Maxx or Marshalls, so I'll probably just spend a bit more and get it online. My husband is against buying another stroller, because our daughter is over 3, but we have no umbrella stroller (we just have a Peg perego and it's a hulkster) and are due to make a couple of trips this year. When you need one, you really need one, even though we are in LA. Plus, hoping for baby no. 2....

barbarak
02-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input. I ran into someone with a Triumph the other day and she really likes it. I think I'll just go with the Triumph as it is cheaper and really will fit my needs. I haven't found one in TJ Maxx or Marshalls, so I'll probably just spend a bit more and get it online. My husband is against buying another stroller, because our daughter is over 3, but we have no umbrella stroller (we just have a Peg perego and it's a hulkster) and are due to make a couple of trips this year. When you need one, you really need one, even though we are in LA. Plus, hoping for baby no. 2....

swrenak
02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
I recently bought a Triumph (2005) at TJMaxx. Price was 129.99 +tax which is high for us here in California for a total around $140. I bought it to test it out at home and I really like it for an older, heavier child, my big almost 2yo son loves riding in it (of course his other options are small and miserable!) The fact that it's light and has a carrying strap will make it great for trips. We have a couple planned like you - San Diego, Disneyland... I think the price was too high for a place like TJMaxx - I'll probably return it (have only tried it out inside at home), and order one online (124.99 from Babydealz.com for 2006?)
I think this stroller is a good one when you're buying for an older child like you and I. I actually think we Californians who travel most by car and use our strollers at the mall :) should have a lightweight stroller like this.
I'm wondering if anyone knows the differences between the 2005, 2006, 2007 Triumphs? Is it just color?
Also, what add-on organizer bags are safe & compatible?

barbarak
02-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Of course, I forget that we get totally gouged on tax here and it's cheaper online, so that helps make my mind up. I've seen great prices at Babydealz. Is the maximum weight allowance on the Triumph 55 pounds as well? I was torn between the Triumph and the Quest. I think the major difference is the Triumph reclines in two positions and the Quest in 4 (and the Triumph is obviously cheaper). It doesn't matter so much for my 3 year old, but if I have another child down the road, which I'm hoping for, I'll want to use this one more than my Peg tank. And maybe I'll need more recline positions. Or maybe I'm just splitting hairs. I'm guessing that the differences in those models are only incremental, but perhaps someone else can tell me. I've been waffling around on this decision for days now.

swrenak
02-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I understand your hesitations, I have terrible time making decisions too. I don't know much about the Quest, but the Triumph is 55 lb limit. It basically has 2 seat positions - adjusted by snapping a seat-belt like clip behind the seat. Supposedly you can adjust it more by loosening the belt. I don't know how heavy the Quest is, but I'd probably go for the lighter Triumph since you do have a full-featured stroller to get you through the early times with a future second child. I think the Triumph (maybe all Macs?) the straps are too loose for use with a very young baby. Most of the first year baby can be in carseat or worn anyway. Good luck!