PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for 1yo and 4yo on trip

juliasdad
03-02-2007, 12:14 PM
We're about to take our 13-month-old and 4.5-yr.old on a vacation that will include 2 days in theme parks (Disney), and I can't seem to figure out what the right stroller setup is! We were going to bring our Sit-n-Stand for those occasional times when Julia will need a ride; however, it looks like the stroller won't work for long-term use for the napping 13-mo. as the recline isn't sufficient, hood is skimpy (florida sun), and his head is already at the very top of the seatback.

So, what would you do?? Is there a good travel (umbrella?) stroller that would allow napping, and then attach a board for a stand-on ride? Or do we travel with 2 umbrellas even though one will be rarely used? Or is there a duo that allows the infant to nap and would accomodate at 42" 42lb girl?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-dan

Niki_n_Abby
03-02-2007, 03:17 PM
In my experience, if you are doing Disney, you will need a stroller for the 4 yo where she can actually sit. Disney is HUGE, miles of walking everyday in the hot and it is too much for the little guys, even if they never ride in a stroller at home.

We'll be doing Disney again in the fall with my then almost 5 yo and just turned 1 yo and we're taking the Twin Swift. Easy to travel with, both kids are comfy and secured and my oldest can hop in and out for characters and rides.

If you don't want to take a double or 2 singles, you could rent a stroller at Disney for the older child once you are there.

Niki

C99
03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I would go with 2 umbrellas or 1 umbrella and 1 reclining stroller. They are cheaper than doubles, easier to manuver, and they allow you and your partner to split up based on interest/fatigue, etc.

luvmypeanut
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
We also take two strollers for Disney. My dd is the same size as yours and only the Valco Buggster is confortable for her. It has a high weight limit and the seat is wider than the Macs. I have a Techno for my ds but they have the sibling rivalry thing going so it was best to get a Buggster for him as well. It's not a compact fold but not too bad either for a 3-wheeler. The basket is nice and the zip-on sun shade is great for the sun. Pushes just as nicely as my Mac.

Bottom line, you would do well to bring two strollers. It will allow you more flexibility. I like the pp's suggestion to take an umbrella and one with a recline.

Have fun!

juliasdad
03-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh, no.

Now I've gone and looked at the Buggster. Thanks. :-)

We are now thinking that we'd like to bring just one stroller, in which the 13-mo-old will be for the majority of the time, but on occassion will need a push, we'll put the 13-mo into the backpack carrier. The Buggster looks perfect for this, though I was thinking Mac Techno until now.

Question: what is the recline and sun protection like on the Buggster? The "2-position" thing scares me a bit into thinking that it may not be the best napping machine...

-dan

luvmypeanut
03-06-2007, 01:20 PM
The recline is not flat but still enough for both of my kids to nap well. IMO, it's easier to use than that of the Techno. I always hated having to use both hands to fiddle with their recline mechanism.

The sun protection is OK, pretty standard for that kind of stroller. There is a see through window in the canopy. It comes with a zip-on sun shade which I only use when they are sleeping because they don't like to be behind the shade. It also comes with a rain cover.

I'll try to post some pics for you with it reclined and folded when dd comes home from school. I'll have her sit in the Techno as well so you can compare.

juliasdad
03-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks! Also, be interested in hearing where people are getting their Buggsters, as it seems the options are limited and I'm not familiar with any of the places that seem to carry 'em... -dan

luvmypeanut
03-07-2007, 02:45 AM
I got mine at www.letsgostrolling.com They are really nice and knowledgeable.

I can't seem to post pictures anymore. Didn't there used to be a link to a page that would upload them? Anyway, I know Strollerqueen has a review and lots of good pics in the New New New section of her website. She also has seat measurements. www.strollerqueen.com

If you can email me, I will send you pics of my dd in both strollers. When I was taking pics, I realized that the Mac seems to have a little bit more clearance in the canopy area, but the Buggster beats it in most other respects. Not tippy, nice basket, easy recline (although the Techno is a little flatter), and cushier seat. I asked her which stroller she preferred and she said the Buggster. The Techno is easier and faster to open and close, but once you know what you are doing it's a piece of cake. If I did not have the Buggster, I would be taking the Techno so I guess you can't really go wrong with either.

luvmypeanut
03-07-2007, 02:54 AM
And while you're on the strollerqueen site, check out the stroller o' the month section. The Rock Star Baby Candy and Esprit look pretty nice. Smaller wheels than the Buggster but she says they push well and have a pretty flat recline. And cheaper.