PDA

View Full Version : Help! Does my ideal stroller exist?

iujen94
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
My head is swimming from looking at strollers nonstop over the last week!!! I think I've finally figured out what features I'm looking for and am hoping y'all can tell me if my ideal stroller exists.

I don't want a full-blown big monster stroller but I don't want a tiny insubstantial umbrella stroller with no features at all (no Mac Volo for me). On that wide spectrum, I probably want something closer to an umbrella stroller (although it doesn't have to be umbrella-style, necessarily) than a monster stroller. I want a decent-sized basket (it doesn't have to be HUGE - big enough to hold a medium-sized purse, small camera bag, jacket, and the "stuff" that seems to accumulate during a day out) and a basket that's accessible (another downside of the Macs, IMO), I'd really, really like a snack tray for DS. I'd like it to be relatively lightweight and relatively easy to fold (I don't necessarily need the lightest thing on the market, or something that you can fold with just your pinky finger). Oh, and I don't really care about fancy reclining features - most of the time the seat will be upright as neither of my kids are big stroller sleepers, but I would like the ability to recline if that were to magically change. And both boys are way past the infant car seat stage, so I don't care if it's car seat compatible. I also don't care about 5-point harnesses and actually have a slight preference for a 3-point harness (or at least a 5-point where you can detach the shoulder straps, like on the Macs). It doesn't seem like too much to ask for, but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. The Peg Aria probably comes the closest, but it gets such horrible reviews that I've been scared off.

I've looked at all of the Maclarens and have ruled them out because (a) the baskets are all small and seem very inaccessible; and (b) no snack tray for DS. If they were cheaper, I might get one of the higher-end models (liked the $200 Quest Sport at BRU). I don't mind spending that kind of money, but I want it to be everything that I'm looking for before I do, kwim? That being said, DH might kill me if I spent much more than $200 on this stroller (I might get away with $250 if it were *perfect*).

Last detail and then I'm done - I have a 3 1/2 year old who will ride in this for probably one week (trip to Disney World in May) then it will become the everyday stroller for DS2, who's 9 months. 95% of the time, this will be used an indoor, mall-type stroller, or maybe trips around the neighborhood on good sidewalks.

I've looked at Zoopers and Inglesinas and generally like the look of them but am frankly just overwhelmed by the choices.

So help me, Baby Bargains, you're my only hope! Does my dream stroller exist???

lunababy
03-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi. I have been really happy w/my Peg Aria. I mainly use it for 4 block walk to preschool, 1 mile walk to grocery or farmer's market, etc and zoo. (I'm don't really spend much time using it indoors - malls, etc.) As you were describing your idea I was thinking..."Sounds like my Aria..."

A few things I don't like...awful sunshade. I have the kidopatumus (spelling???!) velco shade. Works great as a shade but then you really can't collapse the Aria. Have to remove all or part of shade or wiggle the shade around collaspe mechanisms to close it.

A bit wobbly when it is closed (almost self-standing) might be related to point #1 above.

But the removable snack tray is nice. And I am all about the basket. Not huge, but does the trick. The carrying handle makes it hard to carry much else so in/out of airport for disney might be tricky. (You carry it like a suitcase.)

I have found it to have features I wanted (same as you), plus light and durable.

Oh...and I forgot...I really like the harness design. There is a little tooth shaped tab on the harness. This tab slips into the seat cushion. So when you put the child in the stroller the straps are flush w/the seat. Then once you buckle them in front you pull the tab out. Then the child is safe and harnessed but is not stuck against the seat. This was great when my DD was smaller - your 9 mo will like it. They can sit up and see all around. Now as my DD is older (3) I will sometimes not use the tabs/harness straps. Then I can just buckle her around her waist. (Manfctr probably doesn't want me to say that!) Anyway, PM me if you want more info and be sure to check it out in the store. I've seen other Aria users that don't get how to use it and either have straps hanging out or kid all the way flush. It is a really clever design so that the straps are always baby-ready when you pop them in. And like I just said could make the buckles very friendly for either of your kids.

Hope that helps!

strollerqueen
03-10-2007, 05:10 PM
It sounds like what you are looking for is a Peg P3, Inglesina Zippy, or Chicco CT 1. They all have great canopies, snack trays, decent baskets, and a rear step for another child to ride on. They are all in the 20 pound range.

westgre
03-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Just to add, as you and I are searching for the same stroller, I think. ;)
The Aria OH 2007 is redesigned, so its sunshade reaches all the way to the snack tray now. Also, it is now free standing when folded. There are quite a few reviews of the 2007 on the boards, all of them favorable. I haven't seen a 2007 IRL, so I'm also hesitant to get one.
I have an older Zippy, and have been quite pleased with it. I even took it to Disney and I absolutely loved it there! The fold was really wonderful for getting on and off the buses. The wheels were substantial enough for outdoor walking. The basket is adequate and you can hang lots off the handles with no tipping.
However, I do a lot of mall crawling and find it a little bulky for that. I seem to hit a lot of the displays with my front wheels.

Joolsplus2
03-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Yup, the 2007 Aria is so much nicer it oughta have a different name!

I agree with SQ, though, maybe a P3/C1/Zippy for that footboard option for the older kiddo would be divine.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

momathome
03-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I agree with Janet, a P3 would be perfect for you. Umbrella fold, full recline, accessible basket if you go in from the sides, nice padding and canopy, and a snack tray. www.specialtybaby.com often has good deals on previous years' models. The P3 is a wonderful do-it-all stroller, plus it has a footboard for your 3 year-old to use when the 9 month-old is riding. HTH!

bubbaray
03-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I just got an '07 P3 and my DDs are about the same age difference as your DS's. I'll use it mainly for errands with DD#2 alone while DD#1 is in daycare/preschool. I wanted the rear footboard for when DD#1 is with us, particularly in parking lots.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

iujen94
03-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Y'all are awesome - thanks so much for the help! I don't think I appreciated how different the 2007 Aria is. I'm headed out to BRU tomorrow to give that a look, along with the P3.

westgre
03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Please let me know what you think of the Aria OH. I have no stores locally that carry anything other than Graco, Evenflo, and Kolcraft. Ugh!
I've almost convinced myself to get an Aria, but I'm not crazy about any of the colors, except the pink. And this will be for DS, so pink might not go over well with DH. ;) I wish they made the Aria in the mod blue! Then, I'd take the plunge!