PDA

View Full Version : Allterrain/Jogger for a 6 month old and 3.5 year old???

vickimaggie
03-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm 8wks pregnant with #2. DD will be 3 when this baby is born. I rarely use a stroller, but would like to get a double allterrain/jogger for next spring when baby is 6 months old and DD is 3.5. I doubt I'd us e it much before that. I know its early to buy but I want to start looking. I will only use it outside for long walks. So what is a good outdoor double for an older kiddo? I want something DD 1 will be comfortable in until she's 4+ years old if that exists. I will occassionally put in in the car, but I have an explorer so I don't need it to fold down really small, though I'd prefer it not be a monster LOL! Thanks!

Joolsplus2
03-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Phil & Ted's, all the way :D It'll convert to a single when it's just you and the baby later on, which is perfect :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MarisaSF
03-11-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm in a similar situation. I'm getting a Baby Jogger Performance Double with 20" wheels. We will use it for runs and walks and it will be our only double (for zoos and similar outings). I'm getting it because my friend (3 yo and newborn) likes hers and it has what I want -- double sunshades, good balance between the two sides, relatively lightweight. It's on closeout at the REI outlet.

You can start by reading reviews of doubles at joggingstroller.com.

If you need something for more usages, check out the ones with the rotating front wheels. Just get one tall enough for an older kid. Some of the reviews of the BOB Revolution said it was too short and the sunshade too low for a taller child to see or be very comfortable.

bubbaray
03-11-2007, 03:43 PM
IMO, your kids aren't close enough in age to make the P&T work. It has stupid weight restrictions on the 2nd seat (35lbs when used in the rear), so you end up with the older child in the front/main seat and the baby in the rear, all slumped over. I'm not sure if the new 2007's have the same weight restrictions, but it was a deal breaker for me (DD#1 is only 29lbs, but I don't want to get a stroller with only 5lbs of wiggle room, KWIM?).

I would actually wait a bit. By then the '08s will be out, the '07s will be on sale. You could see if the new P&Ts have higher weight restrictions and see what the reviews are like on them (complete redesign).

Other brands to consider: MBUD, BJCSD, BOB Revolution Duallie, Valco -- all these have swivel front wheels.

You could also consider a fixed front wheel jogger, as suggested by the PP. It depends on the terrain you're travelling over. I prefer a fixed wheel jogger for running and for walking single-track bike trails and sand, a swivel wheel for all other uses.

Another thing to consider is whether your DD#1 will even want to ride at age 4. I'm holding off on a double b/c my 3yo DD#1 much prefers riding her bike at this point and I foresee her riding her bike while I walk/jog with the baby this summer. ALso, most of our outdoors activities happen on weekends when DH is with us, so he'll take DD#1 in her BOB Revolution single (her favorite) or on her bike and I'll take DD#2 in the MBUS.

We are also leaning towards a buggy/kiddie board or similar that DD#1 can use if tired, but not spend most of her time riding. I just got an '07 P3 with footboard for that reason too, instead of an "indoor" double.

A lot really depends on your DD#1 and honestly, the best advice I got on searching for a double was to wait. I'm glad I did as I'm not even sure I'll "need" one (though, need vs want is a different thing).

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

vickimaggie
03-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks ladies!! I hadn't considered the P&T's because I didn't think it would hold enough weight, although if I put baby in the back it looks like it would work. That may be a good option. I didn't realize the regular seat holds 55lbs.

My number one reason for wanting a double is that when baby is a year old and DD is 4 I'll be going back to work 2 days a week and my Mom will have them. She doesn't drive but likes to take DD to the library and the park which are 2-3 miles from her house so I'm assuming she'll want to do the same once she has the 2 of them. She doesn't have full use of her right arm so she needs something with a swivel front wheel that is very easy to steer and push.

Currently she's using my Jeep Liberty Allterain with DD and that is working out well, maybe I'll get the P&T's this summer so I don't have to lug the Jeep back and forth to her house. Worst case scenario I've got 2 singles that I can use now with DD and with #2 if DD doesn't want to ride later on.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

bubbaray
03-11-2007, 04:13 PM
THat definitely changes your needs then. I might be inclined to at least wait and see how the new '07s are rated/reviewed. Or, you could get an '06 for cheap (but get both the stroller and the toddler seat, as they might be hard to find later).

BTW, are you in Canada?

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007