PDA

View Full Version : Help! All purpose stroller for walk-up apt. and long walks in city terrain

dlap
03-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi
I am due in a month and still have not decided on a stroller. I need help!!!
I live in a city enviornment in a 3rd floor walk up. I also have an SUV that i use as well.
- i need something that handles well on bumpy city streets as well as long walks on various terrain for excersise
-lots of walking everyday
- something that is safe for a newborn
-not very heavy or bulky so i can use while shopping and lift
-$$ not an issue, just want to find the best stroller for my needs.
-car seat compatible

down the road i will get an umbrella type for quick errands.

i've been seriously considering the baby jogger city series or bugaboo.

Can anyone offer me suggestions on these? or others? would the bug be a nightmare in a walk up? i know the 2 part fold is an issue but then the frame is pretty light for me to carry up the stairs.

THanks!!!

betsydenny
03-15-2007, 11:09 AM
As a 4th floor city dweller with 2 and one on the way, I totally agree that this is a frustrating search!

There is nothing easy. I am going to have to say I would not recommend the Bugaboo. I have a friend who fell down the stairs carrying her son in his Bug seat. All were ok, but from then on it was two+ trips, one for hte baby, and one+ for the stroller. This is really how you are going to have to do it. And the 2 part deal of the Bug is just a pain. Easier to just fold and lift one piece.

I would recommend any of the hybrids- MBUD, BJCS, Phil and Teds (what we have and love). Just know that you really are going to have to do 2 trips.

When it comes to your later stroller, there is no stroller I love more than my Mac Volo. Super light, easy and my kids happily sleep in it even without the recline.

Wish I could offer you a perfect stroller. I am still on the search- 4+ years later!

Good luck!
Betsy

MNmomtobe
03-15-2007, 11:28 PM
I don't know that you could carry the bug plus the baby up the stairs.

I would suggest the Inglesina Zippy. It folds very easily one-handed and it does fold pretty compactly. It is not light at about 20 lbs but I don't know that there are many full-featured strollers out there that are really light. The Zippy also has pretty large wheels so would be good for on bumpier streets, though you can't jog with it. I assume you meant walking, not jogging, as jogging is not recommended with a newborn. Just clarifying since you mentioned lots of walking but also mentioned various terrain for exercise.

The Peg Perego P3 would be good too though the fold is not quite as easy as the Zippy. It can be done with one hand but takes three steps. It's a bit lighter but I don't think it is enough of a weight difference to really notice. The wheels are a nice size though the Zippy's wheels are larger.

They are compatible with several infant seats. They are both non-tippy so are great for hanging shopping bags off the handles.

The Chicco C1 is very similar to the other two and you can find them for a decent price right now since they are no longer making them for 2007.

The new Maclaren Techno XLR is infant seat compatible. I don't think it's very heavy but I have heard it is quite big. Maclarens are very tippy also so not great for shopping.

Those are my suggestions though I am sure there are many new strollers out there that may suit your needs that I am not familiar with.

Good luck! :)

leblis
03-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I live in a 3rd floor walk up as well and I've found that the easiest thing to do is keep the stroller in the car. This way I can just take ds down, place him in the car seat in the car, get the stroller out, and we're good to go. I found this to be the safest thing for us. This way I don't have to deal with carrying him and the stroller up and down the stairs. Especially now that he wants to see and reach for everything.

I don't have any specific recommendations for strollers. I have three right now and ds is only 7mo. I keep our 06 Bumbleride and 07 Aria OH in my car and our 06 Chicco C5 in my husbands car. All three of these strollers meet our needs; outdoor walks, mall, errands, etc. I have yet to find the perfect all in one stroller.

HTH,
Lisa

autumngrrl
03-17-2007, 12:32 PM
We live in a city too (NYC) and have had the Bugaboo Cameleon for 2 years. We absolutely LOVE it and feel it was worth every penny. That said, I think it would be impossible to carry up and down 2 flights of stairs on a daily basis. If you could leave it on the main floor of your bldg (as a lot of people who live in brownstones in nyc do), then great. Otherwise, I cannot say it would be feasible.

I'd recommend a car seat/universal stroller (snap n go kind of thing) for 0-6 months and quick trips, and keep a bigger stroller w/ a full recline in your trunk, for longer trips.

Best of luck!