PDA

View Full Version : Is it out there?

maybaby
03-18-2007, 12:06 PM
We are having our first child in May and I am desperately searching for the perfect stroller. Is it out there? I would like one stroller that will work from infancy through the toddler years. I would like one stroller that will take me from long walks in the park (with unpaved walkways) to the mall. And I would like to used it with our infant car seat (which we haven't picked out yet). My husband and I are both 5'9" with normal walking strides. We have large trunks in both of our cars.

I am willing to pay for the right stroller - does anyone have some suggestions? I've heard great things about Valco, P3, Uppababy, but really would like some suggestions before we buy. Thanks!

Joolsplus2
03-18-2007, 01:28 PM
I think the Rock Star Baby or Bugaboo (any of them, probably Cameleon, though) are what you are looking for. But I think a lot of us are happiest with an indoor (trunk dwelling) stroller and an outdoor (garage dwelling) stroller... I LOVE my Peg Aria OH 2007 for a mall crawler... takes an infant seat but also reclines flat, has a nice basket, huge hood, weighs nothing, stands alone... it lives in my trunk. And my Mountain Buggy Urban single is my go-to guy for walking long distances and rougher terrain.

Just some Ideas :)

luvsviola
03-18-2007, 09:37 PM
My trunk stroller is my P3. Love it. A graco snugride fits it fine. It comes with a strap, but I've never thought it necessary. It reclines flat, but by the time we needed a stroller for walking, DD was a week old and sitting up in a bouncy seat.

My only (tiny) complaint is that the pink one does not have a spot in the top to see the baby. That is annoying to me. I'd buy the regular ones instead.

Nooknookmom
03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Hello,

I happen to be in the same boat you are. I'm due in May and even after years of researching (took a while to get pg) and assuming I *knew* what I wanted, I can't decide. What I do know is that there isn't ONE stroller that will do it all. I live in a city w/ broken sidewalks, yet it's urban and I like to walk to stores, etc. We also frequent car shows, amusement parks, etc. where I want something big enough for DD to play & sleep. I can't schlep around an infant seat due to back issues, so I know I'm going to need two-a P3/umbrella type and an larger off roader type.

I also want my larger stroller to have a bassinet and serve as a rolling bed for the first few months. I've made this much more difficult for myself! Lol.

Each stroller you'll notice has it's good points and bad. I looked at every brand mentioned except the Uppa-trying to find one in stock by me is hard. I think I am leaning towards a Bebecar. I'll include a link to the site that sells them. There are various models that have swivel wheels, steerable wheels, etc. They are of great quality and don't cost any more than a MB or Bug. They have all the extra's I expect from a stroller of that $$ & quality-great hoods, footmuffs, good basket, well-padded seats, etc. DH seems to like this brand as well.

Here's the link: http://www.buystrolleronline.com/detail.asp?s=10&id=45#cc

ETA, I am leaning towards the Vector or the Stylo AT, and buying the matching bassinet.

Hope I didn't confuse you further - this whole decision is becoming a pain! Good luck!!!

Tondi G
03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Have you seen this???

http://www.specialtybaby.com/pegpe20plprs1.html

smokey26
03-20-2007, 01:00 AM
IMO, there is no such animal. But you also don't really know what you need till you start trying to get around with your child. There are a lot of factors too that may make one thing look good on paper, but might not fit you or your child.

I have a 2 yr old and have a Bugaboo (Frog), a P3 and 2 Maclarens (quest and volo). They all have drawbacks. I like the Frog very much but my daughter is really too tall for it now (with the hood anyway) and it's not a quick in and out of the car stroller - and I live in LA where I am always taking my car everywhere. I love my Maclarens but the ones I have I like because they are small and lightweight but those light versions are no good for infants. I have used my P3 least of all - it was so perfect on paper but it really just didn't fit me - it's kind of like, in trying to satisfy every requirement, it ends up compromising. So - it's an umbrella stroller but still kind of bulky and heavy to me (compared to the volo!!! and quest too) due to all the features. But mostly I don't use it because it's not that fun for me to push compared to a Maclaren or Bugaboo. It's OK but not easy or great, and you def. can't push with one hand comfortably like the others. And now, often, my daughter won't stay in the stroller the whole time, so I end up either carrying her and trying to push the stroller, or pushing with one hand while holding her hand.

But given your description, I would take a look at the Phil & Ted's E3. They have a new model called the E3 sport coming out this month (and a lighter weight version GT in the late summer). Not only could it take you through toddlerhood, but it could take you into the next kid too with the add-on doubles seat. I believe there is also a car seat adapter. Then if you want to add a lighter umbrella when your baby is 6 months - 1 yr, get a maclaren of some kind. That said, I don't HAVE an e3, so I don't know. But if I were doing things over and just wanted one stroller, that's what I'd look at.

Just my 2 cents - Julie

becca34
03-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't think one can do it all, no matter how much you're willing to spend -- because you need opposite functionality for mall/errands vs. outdoor/parks.

For the mall and errands, you're going to want something light that folds easily, so you can haul it in and out of the car without issue. However, these strollers just don't do well on unpaved walkways...for that, you want more of a sturdy jogging stroller, maybe with air-filled tires, which of course are heavy and cumbersome to fold.

I *love* strollers, but thus far I've gotten by with three -- for the first 5 months, I used the Kolcraft Universal Carrier with my carseat. Not pretty, but functional.

From 5 months 'til about 15 months, I really loved my P3. It was light, had a snack tray, pushed easily, was padded enough to be comfortable, etc. We're not really outdoorsy/walk types, but it worked just fine at the zoo, etc. Great features on this stroller, and very durable. (I added an aftermarket parent tray which worked great.)

At 15 months, I was looking for something even lighter for travel, and ended up with a Volo -- loved it, and never used the P3 again. My daughter still uses the Volo at 3 years old, although she's almost too tall for it....she never naps in the stroller, so the recline isn't an issue for us. And, we've even taken it on dirt roads, etc. -- not a big deal, because we now have a preschooler instead of a baby -- she's not exactly fragile!

Anyhow. That's my 2 cents on the stroller decision...of course, now that I'm expecting twins, I have NO idea what I'm going to do to solve our stroller issue, LOL.

orrmobl
03-20-2007, 10:21 PM
We went through this a few years ago. The wife HAD to have the Peg Milano XL which Baby Bargains said was overkill...and it was...I got an Aria on clearance and once our son was able to sit up himself, the wife started using that and the Milano XL has been in a corner of the basement gathering cobwebs ever since. When our second son was born we just plunked his Snug Ride carrier down into the Aria and it fit snugly (pardon the pun) enough that we didn't use the Milano at all, nor did we need a Snap n Go frame as the Aria is so lightweight it is the only thing you really need or want to lug in and out of the car trunk.

We bought an Aria Twin for use when transporting both kids or when I think the older one will be too tired to walk all day (i.e. Disney World, etc.). We took the Twin to Disney World last year and will again this year and I can't imagine bringing any other stroller through airports and on/off buses. It's also a great pack mule due to its double basket and fairly strong frame...just don't overload the basket or it will drag on the ground and tear...we saw one that this had happened to and I loaded ours with 20 lbs of bottled water one hot day in Orlando and sure enough it scraped...my fault of course.

I picked up a used jogging stroller at a consignment sale this fall and again the wife scoffed. Guess who has used it more?

So I totally agree that you need at least 2 strollers...one for off road use and one for mall/on road use.

Hope this helps!
Bob Orr

gatorsmom
03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Ah, that elusive creature that will climb mountains but is skinny enough to fit through the narrowist aisles at the mall.

I did a ton of research with DS#1 who is now almost 4 and still love to research strollers. I"m proud to say I got an MBUS and loved it so much that when DS#2 came along we got an MBUD (Mountain Buggy Urban Double). It is my all-purpose stroller.

I'm still using my MBUD with my almost 4 year old and both kids are comfortable in it. It pushes like a dream- even one handed! They are sturdy, well-built, strollers that you just can't go wrong with. They will accommodate a Graco infant seat (which is probably the brand you'll choose like everyone else). I get complements all the time. They are easy to clean. They push great over gravel, grass, snow. They are simple to fold. Both of mine fit in the back of my minivan which is where I store them. I could go on and on. If you have any questions, pm me. I'd me happy to go on some more. :)

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

lerlerler
03-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, I'm not much of a mall shopper but do go ocassionally. more of a walk to the park, beach, rugby game gal... and we have a small garage and no basement so a fleet of strollers was out.. i also sling my babies a lot

I now have TWO kids and still have only stroller. bought the P&Ts E3 for the 1st and now use it as a double,

it's big and heavy to toss in the SUV but it's so infrequent that it's do-able

works for us

Melanie
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Love my P3 and it would fit all of your requirements, at least for us.