PDA

View Full Version : Going on a cruise - do I need a new stroller?

momma_boo
03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Here is my dilemma - I have two girls, 2 and 4 years old. I have a twin traveller that is fine (except when both decide to walk and we are pushing a big, empty stroller, LOL!).

We're going on a cruise next month. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to bring the double with us. I don't really see us needing a stroller while on the ship itself, but we definitely need it at the ports.

At the first port, we'll spend the day at Disney - Magic Kingdom, so a stroller is a definite must. Next stop is Bahamas and another island the next day (we'll probably spend all our time on the beach b/c it's a cruise-owned island).

So, do I get a lightweight umbrella to use with my older one and use my current single - a Zooper Swing for the younger one? Ideally, I'd love to get two lightweight strollers, but doubt that DH would go for that.

Thought about the Joovy sit and stand stroller but I'm not sure that would be the best thing to use when at Disney all day.

Any thoughts?

geochick
03-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Here's a cruise critic thread about double strollers on ships:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=507329&highlight=double+stroller

Strollers are very handy on huge cruise ships, so I'd either take two umbrellas (I love the Chicco C6 ($50 range) for cruising - I don't get upset when the airlines get grease on it when they check it...it's only $50!). Don't take a side by side double - you won't be able to make it down the halls with other passengers and the steward carts in the halls. I think your only choices are:

1. Take a side by side and only use it in ports (not on the ship!!! - but you'll miss having it on the ship).
2. Take two umbrellas (easy to store under the bed in your cabin).
3. A front to back double.

If you take a big stroller, you'll have to store it, along with your car seat(s) in your cabin. With 4 people in a cabin, you'll be packed in there. I'd do two umbrellas.

My next cruise isn't til October. I'm jealous that you get to go so soon. Have fun.

ETA: I was just thinking about your situation. The 4 yo will be able to walk throughout the ship, and won't need a stroller on the ship. I think taking an umbrella and the other single you already have will be fine (since you're doing Disney). It will take much more space than 2 umbrellas, but you shouldn't spend money on strollers you don't need. save the money for foo foo drinks on the ship. :)

Tondi G
03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
YUP! I'd get a lightweight Umbrella (chicco or Mac) and use the other more featured single you have!