PDA

View Full Version : Single stroller that could hold two kiddos

andreaa
05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi,
I am looking for (hopefully) one last stroller!

I have two kids (age 1 and 3) and need a new lightweight stroller. I am tired of lugging around a large double stroller when my older daughter rarely wants to ride in it. But, my tiny umbrella stroller and the Combi are just not sturdy enough to hold both of them in a pinch. For example, we will be out shopping and my older daughter will suddenly tell me she is sooooo tired. In my original Graco travel system, I could just recline the seat and have them both squeeze in there.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for the lightest stroller with the highest weight capacity? I have been looking at the Triumph, but other people on this site have said it is small.

I should also say that I also have the Joovy Caboose and just cannot lift that monster into my trunk anymore. Plus whenever I get it out both kids want to ride in the back and climb around like monkeys.

Please help!
Andrea

sobers3
05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Unapproved, but the Bob Revolution (there is a smaller one with all 12 inch wheels) has a foot well that a second child can sit in. I have had sucess with the P3. With the smaller child strapped in and the back rest reclined, they sit back to back easily. Please let me know if you hear of any other solutions, since I really can't carry a 43 pound child all the way through a parking lot at the end of a long day!

andreaa
05-21-2007, 01:31 PM
I'll check out the Revolution. And I know it is not what the strollers are designed for, but there are times when I just can't carry one and push the other. The other thing that irks me is that the Combi single that I have is supposed to go to 45 pounds and with my 40 pound daughter in there it barely turns. I can't imagine it with 45 pounds! So, I am curious which strollers perform like they say they will in their specs.

Andrea

heatherlynn
05-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I was also going to say p3. I just bought an Atlantico for this very purpose; it's a little bigger than the P3, but not too heavy.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

heatherlynn
05-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I was also going to say p3. I just bought an Atlantico for this very purpose; it's a little bigger than the P3, but not too heavy.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

momathome
05-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I would say get a Peg P3 - it has the toddler footboard on the back for your 3 year-old to hitch a ride but is still the size of a single stroller.

nfowife
05-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I would suggest a P3 as well. Or if you prefer a book fold with a single handlebar, the venezia or centro completo (all peg peregos). I have a venezia that I just got as my main single for DS, and DD who just turned 2 stands with no problem on the footboard for short periods of time.

bubbaray
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
P3 has a footboard. Atlantico does not. Centro is similar to an Atlantico, but with a footboard (and is more plasticky).

I wouldn't recommend putting a 2nd rider in the footwell of a Bob Revolution (or MBUS or BJCS), I would be concerned it might bend the frame. Some ATs (MBUS, not sure about the others) take Kiddie or Buggy Boards.

I definitely wouldn't put two riders in the seat of any of the single Macs. I can't even imagine how they would fit! Then again, I've seen people pushing single strollers with children sitting on the canopy or in the basket underneath.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

andreaa
05-22-2007, 08:08 AM
I just looked at the P3 and the footboard seems so tiny. I will have to try one out with my kids and see if it will work. Ugh, I wish there was some kind of miracle stroller out there!

Momof3Labs
05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
It's not lightweight but I'd suggest a Venezia. It has a better footboard than the P3, and the seat could be fully reclined to carry both of your DDs if needed. The weight limit is around 45lbs (sounds like your kids exceed that) so no guarantees what might happen if you load them both in there, but that's true for any stroller out there where you are exceeding the weight limit.

american_mama
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
The footboard is small, but it does work. Some kids, especially younger/stubborn/and or less coordinated ones, need somet time to adjust, but most end of getting the hang of it and liking. Send me a PM if you'd like a photo.

Ingelsina Zippy also has a footrest, as does a Chicco one that is sold at Babies R Us. It might be called the C1. They make a number of small strollers, but this one looks very similar to the P3, takes an infant car seat, etc.

If you want to recline a seat back for two to sit, I think some big honking travel system strollers might work well, as long as they have sturdy backs that recline nearly flat.

There is also the Phil and Ted's e3, a double stroller that converts to a single. There's also the Marco Sky, I think it's called, a small tandem umbrella stroller. Don't know much about it, but I think it's pretty small.

bubbaray
05-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes, the Zippy and the C1 both have footboards in the current models. If buying used, be careful b/c models of the Zippy prior to 2005 1/2 and the Chicco 2002 did NOT have footboards.

My 3yo can use the P3 footboard just fine. The Centro's footboard is much larger, I just didn't like the stroller as well as the P3. The Venezia meets your criteria, except possibly on weight. Its definitely a heavy stroller, IMO.

The e3 toddler seat can only hold 33lbs and if you exceed that, your frame will bend -- StrollerQueen always warns of that. You could put your 3yo in the front and the 1yo in the toddler seat at the rear, though. An e3 might be your best bet. its around 20 some-odd pounds though. I think its lighter than the Venezia, not 100% sure on that.

Good luck!

Melissa

Momof3Labs
05-22-2007, 08:20 PM
The Venezia is (I believe) under 20lbs. Not lightweight but lighter than an e3.

gatorsmom
05-22-2007, 11:24 PM
I can think of a few solutions, depending on how much you want to spend and how comfortable you want your girls to be!

The Valco single will take a toddler seat that sits in front.
The ABC Everest will take a toddler seat that puts the child on top facing you. But it is also an AT single.
You can do a Kiddy-board, Buggy-board, or three options I think look cool are these:

One Step Ahead Pick-up seat
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/osa/455758.html

Swiss Strolli Rider
http://www.babycangotoo.com/happy-strollers-swiss-strolli-rider.asp?id=597

Buggy Pod
http://daddytypes.com/2006/10/06/the_buggypod_is_a_sidecar_for_your_stroller.php

HTH!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

egoldber
05-24-2007, 08:16 AM
I think its officially 17 pounds.

bubbaray
05-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Well, I must be insane then. I compared it to the P3 and the Centro in March and it is much heavier to lift than either of those strollers. It just seems bulkier and heavier to me IRL.

Guess its not.

It might be my own personal preference for umbrella fold vs book fold strollers.

Melissa

tg_canada
05-24-2007, 11:55 AM
The Valco TriMode single can take a toddler seat or a hitchhiker board. The toddler seat can collapse out of the way when you only have one riding and it also folds up with the stroller without having to remove it. The TriMode weighs in at 23 lbs. It's max weight capacity is 45pounds in the main seat and 45lbs in the toddler seat. I couldn't find a weight capacity for the hitchhiker board on their web site.

There is also the Phil & Ted's Sport (new for '07) or E3 (made until '06). It's 24 pounds. It's max weight capacity is 55lbs in the main seat and 33lbs in the rear.

If you happen to be in Canada, I have a virtually brand new TriMode for sale (only been test driven around the block).

andreaa
05-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I like the TriMode, but I'm not sure how compact it will fold up? It's at times like this that I wish I had a minivan so the folded size didn't matter so much!

And BTW, I'm in Texas, so Canada would be quite a drive ;)

andreaa
05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
We went to USA Baby today and I was able to try out the P3 and it does not seem like it will work for us. My 3 year old had a really hard time trying to hold on and it seemed very off balance. It's a bummer because it has everything else I like (snack tray, lightweight, compact fold).

The attachable seats that have been suggested may be our best bet. I'm hoping to check out the Right Start tomorrow. They are the only store in our area that carry any of the buggy boards so we can try one out. I have read in a few reviews that some people have trouble with them because they kick them while walking. I have short legs so it may not be a problem.

strollerqueen
05-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Beth, how are you? :)

They may claim that, but in reality, it weighs 22 pounds. Manufacturers are notorious for fudging on weights. They also sometimes use very old numbers,(most older strollers were a lot lighter than current models), or they just list the chassis weight-- sans basket, canopy, and wheels.

strollerqueen
05-25-2007, 10:17 PM
The P3 weighs 19.5 pounds, but I don't know what the real weight is on the Centro.