PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a jogger or...?

JoyNChrist
06-13-2007, 12:14 AM
So here's the deal -

DS is 3 months old. When we go to the grocery store, mall, etc I usually wear him in the Bjorn, pouch, or mei tai. I did use a carseat carrier when he was really small, but we don't use the infant seat anymore (bought a Briax Boulevard), so that's kind of useless.

But every weekday, I go to our local park and walk at the walking path. I've been wearing DS in the Bjorn, but he's getting kind of heavy and my shoulders/back are starting to hurt by the time I'm finished (usually walk 2-3 miles). So I need to buy a stroller, but I'm not sure what I want.

Do I need a jogging stroller? The path is paved...it's not super-smooth, but there are no big potholes or bumps. And while I do hope to work up to some jogging, it'll mostly be brisk walking.

The reason I'm hesitant to buy a jogger is that I'd like something more compact, lightweight, and easy to fold, so that I can also use it on future trips to the mall, zoo, etc. Are there any joggers that fit the bill? Or some sort of jogger/stroller hybrid?

I loaned my copy of the new edition of BB to a pregnant friend, so I'm having trouble knowing what brands to research. Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'd like to make the purchase within the next week or so.

Oh, a few more guidelines to help...
- Cooler fabrics or mesh ventilation (like on the Zoopers) would be best - I live in Southwest Louisiana, and it's hot and humid.
- Needs to have a good sunshade (the walking path is shaded in some places, but quite open in others).
- I don't really want to spend over $300-350.
- Must be able to purchase online (no baby stores in my area).

TIA!

JoyNChrist
06-13-2007, 12:14 AM
So here's the deal -

DS is 3 months old. When we go to the grocery store, mall, etc I usually wear him in the Bjorn, pouch, or mei tai. I did use a carseat carrier when he was really small, but we don't use the infant seat anymore (bought a Briax Boulevard), so that's kind of useless.

But every weekday, I go to our local park and walk at the walking path. I've been wearing DS in the Bjorn, but he's getting kind of heavy and my shoulders/back are starting to hurt by the time I'm finished (usually walk 2-3 miles). So I need to buy a stroller, but I'm not sure what I want.

Do I need a jogging stroller? The path is paved...it's not super-smooth, but there are no big potholes or bumps. And while I do hope to work up to some jogging, it'll mostly be brisk walking.

The reason I'm hesitant to buy a jogger is that I'd like something more compact, lightweight, and easy to fold, so that I can also use it on future trips to the mall, zoo, etc. Are there any joggers that fit the bill? Or some sort of jogger/stroller hybrid?

I loaned my copy of the new edition of BB to a pregnant friend, so I'm having trouble knowing what brands to research. Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'd like to make the purchase within the next week or so.

Oh, a few more guidelines to help...
- Cooler fabrics or mesh ventilation (like on the Zoopers) would be best - I live in Southwest Louisiana, and it's hot and humid.
- Needs to have a good sunshade (the walking path is shaded in some places, but quite open in others).
- I don't really want to spend over $300-350.
- Must be able to purchase online (no baby stores in my area).

TIA!

Joolsplus2
06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Easy Walkers are on sale for 329 lately, I'm seriously considering one for our 'summer stroller' (our mountain buggy which I dearly love, is just not terrific for ventilation). I have nice new sidewalks and even then a plastic wheeled stroller just seems so 'clackity clackity' that I went with a air-tire model as soon as I could get one. I can easily bring my MB in the car to the zoo, and it's not too big for the mall, though we use the Aria or Volo more as our 'in car' strollers.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Easy Walkers are on sale for 329 lately, I'm seriously considering one for our 'summer stroller' (our mountain buggy which I dearly love, is just not terrific for ventilation). I have nice new sidewalks and even then a plastic wheeled stroller just seems so 'clackity clackity' that I went with a air-tire model as soon as I could get one. I can easily bring my MB in the car to the zoo, and it's not too big for the mall, though we use the Aria or Volo more as our 'in car' strollers.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

pb&j
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
You need something with air tires. I've pushed my Quest for some long-ish walks on pavement, and my hands and wrists were positively vibrating by the time I was done. Plus, air tires and suspension will give a much nicer ride for the baby.

I love my Bob Revolution, I've posted about a gazillion times about how it's the best stroller ever. ;) Works great for walking and light running. It's got the cushiest ride ever, steers one-handed, pushes like a dream, has a huge sunshade. They often come up on REI.com for 20% off; some smaller online retailers sometimes have really good unadvertised sales. The BJCS is another popular one.

pb&j
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
You need something with air tires. I've pushed my Quest for some long-ish walks on pavement, and my hands and wrists were positively vibrating by the time I was done. Plus, air tires and suspension will give a much nicer ride for the baby.

I love my Bob Revolution, I've posted about a gazillion times about how it's the best stroller ever. ;) Works great for walking and light running. It's got the cushiest ride ever, steers one-handed, pushes like a dream, has a huge sunshade. They often come up on REI.com for 20% off; some smaller online retailers sometimes have really good unadvertised sales. The BJCS is another popular one.