PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on these lightweight umbrella strollers?

daisymommy
06-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm shopping for a lightweight umbrella stroller now, with limited access to stores to try them out in. I did try out a Quest, which I really liked. Just not the $199 price. I'm aiming for around $100. One thing I really liked in the Quest was the leg rest. These are some other brands I've seen online that seem comaprable. Has anyone tried them out, and have opinions to offer?

Inglesina Swift or Trip
Britax Esprit
Pliko Lite
Chicco C6
Zooper 2006

Joolsplus2
06-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Skip the Britax :P, and I pushed the C6 and thought it was terribly flimsy (I know, I know, if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all, lol, but this is an exception). Maybe the Rockstar Baby Candy Esprit (real esprit brand, not britax taking the name, lol)...I know someone who sold a Quest and likes this better.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MNmomtobe
06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
If you really liked the Quest, I would look for a 2006 one. Albee baby has some for $129-149 or so. The Zooper Twist, if that the Zooper model you were referring to has a leg rest also but I can no longer recommend that one. If you like the steering on the Quest, and honestly, who doesn't?, then you will be disappointed in the Twist. The steering on it stinks though my DH seems to like it okay. You can one hand steer the Quest but not the Twist.

The harness is also REALLY loose on the Twist and DD slouches uncomfortably because ot it. I don't think she will grow into the harness for at least another year and DD is one yr old.
I think the harness thing bugs me more than anything else. I have a Maclaren Ryder that I love and DD sits in it so comfortably with no slouching at all. The nice thing about the Twist is the zip off canopy and the extras like the sunshade. It is also less tippy than the Quest.

I know the Pliko Lite is not being made for 2007 but you can still find last years model. I have heard good things about the Pliko Lite. It does not fold as compactly as the Quest and I think it is slightly heavier. It has a better hood and it is not tippy like the Quest. I have a P3 and didn't think the Pliko lite looked much more compact folded (it folds exactly the same as the P3) or felt that much lighter.

HTH

ETA: Have you considered the Inglesina Trip? The 2006 model is $129 at BRU online. I know it's a bit more than you want to spend but it does have the extendable legrest and I have heard really good things about this stroller.

daisymommy
06-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I just looked at the Esprit strollers, and WOW! Is there some reason I haven't heard much about them? They're so cute and affordable! And they have the same specs. as a Quest! Maybe it's one of those things that is too good to be true?

OOOH! A Trip at BRU for $129 with $20 off! Should I buy it?

jessicallyn
06-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi. I can second MNMomtobe on the lousy steering on the Zooper Twist. I otherwise love this stroller - it is a great bargain especially if you buy a 06. My otherwise fussy daughter found it comfortable. The handles were tall enough, the hood (and included rain and bug covers) were great, and it reclined as much as the P3 (if not as easily). The basket is small and tough to get to, but it has a decent sized pouch on the hood. No room for shopping bags, sure, but what umbrella stroller does? But boy, is it hard to steer once the baby puts on a few pounds. Impossible with one hand.

I just replaced mine with a Maclaren Quest. The steering is much better and the recline is easier, but it just doesn't seem as well thought-out as the Twist. The leg rest is annoying to use, the tilt on the hood isn't much, and involves cheap-looking velcro tags. And since the back of the hood doesn't attach to the seat back, I think it would constantly be brushing against the baby's head when the seat is reclined. And the whole hood contraption looks baggy and messy. Plus I'll miss the Twist's ventilation and my free bug net.

If anyone finds the perfect light umbrella stroller with leg rest and great steering, please let the rest of us know!!

Good luck in your search,
Jessicallyn

daisymommy
06-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks ladies. I just bought a Ing. Swift in red from BRU. I hope I'll be happy with it!

strollerqueen
06-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Some new ones I tested and liked are the Rock Star Baby Candy, Silver Cross Pop, and the Joovy Groove. Not quite Mac steering, but closer than anything else I have tried. And not tippy!