PDA

View Full Version : door handles

Momof1soon2
02-19-2001, 05:18 PM
This is the first time I am posting, so hello out there!

I have the lever style door handles in my house. My 15 month has learned how to open doors a month or so ago. It wasn't so bad when she didn't realize what was in those closets (we blocked off other doors with gates), but I think I am in trouble now! Any ideas on how to prevent her opening the doors? I have only seen door knob protectors for round knobs, so I am at a loss! Any help would be appreciated.

latwinmom
03-16-2001, 10:40 PM
I have the same problem and am hoping someone will respond with a safety device for these types of handles. I have found none on the market so far and hate to replace every knob in the house.

luvrose
03-22-2001, 06:27 PM
I was thinking of maybe buying some of those cheap rubber door stops (the triangular ones that you shove under the door). That might work to keep the doors from opening, and only an adult would have the coordination to kick the doorstop out while turing the lever (or so the theory goes....), or maybe they would fit between the door and the frame at about head-height. Or, here's a thought -- what about those little flip-locky things that hotels put on the inside of the door, but you put them on the outside?

So far, our 16-month-old can only reach the handle on the FRONT door, since it is lower than all the interior levers (who ever decided that!), so we're making sure the front door deadbolt stays locked! I'd be interested in any solutions to this one, too!

MariaMP
03-27-2001, 12:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-01 AT 10:25AM (Mountain)[p]I have the same problem and we found a lock from a hardware store with the same concept as the hotel flip-lock thing. It is a small brass flip lock latch type of thing that you screw into the interior door frame and when you close the door, the flip plate closes over the door locking the door. To open, you push up the flip plate and open it away from the door, thus allowing the door to open. This has worked wonders for our basement and pantry doors. I saw them once on a web sight, but I don't remember what it is. I will see if I can get a brand name and style number for you from the hardware store we obtained ours from. We obtained ours from Bennett's True Value in Taylorsville, Kentucky, 502-477-2211. The owners, Mr. or Mrs. Kleinsteuber would know what you were asking for and may be able to help. They cost just a few dollars. The websight is safetymatters.com or 1-800-9SAFE06. They are the flip locks for under $2.00.

taz925
05-01-2001, 04:45 PM
I have the same type of door handles. I had a professional do my baby proofing and she installed the metal latch type ones (as someone else suggested) on really dangerous doors, like the door leading to the basement and a different kind on bathrooms and other doors I wanted to restrict access to. I saw them on the perfectlysafe.com site. I have found both are fine but you and everyone else in the house have to remember to use them.

Good Luck!

JanaM
07-14-2001, 05:04 AM
Hi,
I was just talking to DH about this last night. I asked him how you keep a child from opening them and he said, "you flip them over upside down, so you have to pull up to open the door". It seemed pretty simplistic to me but then again he's from England and the lever knobs seem more common there than the round kind. His ex-wife used to run a daycare and that's what they did in their house and he said it worked. I still think for the more dangerous doors (ie. to outdoors, bathrooms, kitchen, laundry) I would install flip latches and rooms that I just had to have two-way access (meaning if I flipped the latch nobody on the other side could undo it to go through the door) I'd go out and buy cheap round knobs and plactic covers as a temporary measure.

HTH,
Jana

elaine
07-31-2001, 05:24 PM
We have one closet that has lots of nasty stuff in it and we had the same problem. We decided to just put a deadbolt lock on it, and leave the key in.

Another possible option may be to just use a simple barrel lock, but the configuration of your doorframe may not support it.