PDA

View Full Version : Kiddy Guard Gate

CharlotteMom
05-09-2001, 03:04 PM
I'm looking for feedback on the Sweden-made Kiddy Guard Gate. I was told by a USA Baby salesman that the gate was being "redesigned". I've noticed it is Out of Stock on many web retailers. Is this a safe gate for a top of the stair application? Is this the only retractable gate on the market? Any reviews and/or information on this gate are appreciated!

rpwexler
07-13-2001, 07:01 PM
Did you ever get any feedback on this question? I'm interested in the same gate, and also noticed the out of stocks. I know two people who have this gate, and they love it. Neither one uses it at the top of the stairs, though. Having seen the gate in person, I would be hesitant. It's really just like a very strong window shade on its side.

landiskr
08-27-2001, 08:44 PM
This one is rated for top of stairs - it is out of stock because it is popular. Check i-mom.com or www.babyant.com - they are taking orders for Oct delivery. A friend has two children, uses it at the top of the stairs and loves it. She is what I would consider a causious mother.

CharlotteMom
08-28-2001, 01:35 PM
We must have tried 20 internet sites for this product to find that it was backordered everywhere. Be careful, one site let us order it as if in stock. Later, we were told the delivery date was unknown. Having contacted the company we found out it was being redesigned for ease of assembly, not for any safety concern and the distribution date was unknown. We too were going to use it at the top of a stair but couldn't wait. I would like to hear if anyone has successfully ordered and recieved this item.

rpwexler
08-28-2001, 08:10 PM
I still haven't been able to get one of these, but I did learn from a local baby store that they are made in Italy, and apparently they are only allowed to ship them into the country a couple of times a year. So, when places are out of them, they can order more - but have to wait until the company is allowed to send another shipment to the U.S. Good luck!

emmiem
08-29-2001, 01:50 PM
I bought a wonderful gate for the top of the stairs. It is made by Kidco and is contructed of beechwood maple. It is elegant and strong. I bought it online at Right Start. Kidco also has website where stores are listed. I love it!

joodyjr
09-05-2001, 08:10 PM
I just went to Yahoo, typed in "Kiddy Guard Gate" and went to the first web page that came up and they had it listed for $119.00. I didn't complete the transaction but I didn't see that it was out of stock.
I think the website was Kidsstuff.com

joodyjr
09-05-2001, 08:11 PM
oops maybe it was perfectlysafe.com

evansdad
09-14-2001, 09:54 AM
I have just found a number of sites in the UK that have this gate in stock and will ship to the US. The price is much less there, so even with shipping, it is comparable to the US.

Let me know if you are interested. I have emails in to 4 or 5 stores to confirm the shipping cost.

dave

rpwexler
09-16-2001, 09:46 AM
Dave,
Thanks for the offer. I read about this from someone else, too, so I sent them e-mails myself (about a month ago). I never got a response. Oh, well..

I did actually end up finding this gate at a local store. They found one in their backroom that they didn't realize they still had. I convinced them that with my 11 month twins, I needed it most! We put it up and it's great!

Thanks again,

Rachel

evansdad
09-21-2001, 05:11 PM
Rachel, can you tell me about how you installed the gate? Specifically, what ends up on the wall on each side? My wife is wary of this gate, but I think it looks perfect for our needs.

thanks!

rpwexler
09-22-2001, 08:28 AM
Evan's dad,
My husband actually installed it, so bear with me, but I'll try to explain what it looks like. We installed it at the top of the stairs. If your at the top looking down, the "wound up" portion that contains the actual gate is attached to the bannister on the left. Our bannisters are square, so it's actually on the flat side facing the wall at the top of the stairs. So, the gate pulls across from left to right and the piece it attachs to is affixed to molding on the right. It happens to be doorway molding, since our bedroom door is right there at the top of the stairs. We attached it to the wide flat piece of molding. That way, when it comes down, we can just replace the molding instead of trying to repair holes in the wall. Good luck! I hope this helps. Tell your wife it's a wonderful gate, and very unobtrusive when not in use.

dbercik
10-02-2001, 10:32 PM
Hi Dave,
Was wondering if you still have these web sites available or ph #'s? I would like to get one of these gates. Do you own one?
Thanks,
Kelli

>I have just found a number of sites in the UK that have this
>gate in stock and will ship to the US. The price is much
>less there, so even with shipping, it is comparable to the
>US.
>
>Let me know if you are interested. I have emails in to 4 or
>5 stores to confirm the shipping cost.
>
>dave

evansdad
10-03-2001, 08:24 AM
Kelli -

We do own one of these gates, and I'm strongly thinking about buying a few more. I just learned that I-mom.com, a website in the US, will have these in stock next week at $99, which is a good price. If I order more, I will likely do is in the US.

Good luck!

Dave