PDA

View Full Version : Fire Place Guards

hthompson
04-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for baby proofing a fireplace hearth? The only one that I can find (by Prince Lionheart) received bad reviews on Amazon. I have pillows blocking it now, but that's not a permanent solution! Any ideas would be appreciated!

danimom
04-11-2002, 12:49 PM
I haven't researched it too much, but from what I have, KidCo are supposed to be pretty good. They also have hearth gates and their customer service is very nice. They can find a store near you who sells the gates. Here's the site: http://www.kidcoinc.com/gates/gates.htm

Hope this helps.

sdneufer
04-11-2002, 01:39 PM
We have used the KidCo HearthGate (Picture on their website: http://www.kidcoinc.com/gates/g70.htm ) and found it to be quite good. Our daughter (now 2 years old) has not been able to get through it or knock it down.

-sonya

lmintzer
04-27-2002, 03:17 PM
I second the vote for the KidCo Hearth Gate. We have one to protect our very active 1 year-old, and it is wonderful. He can pull up and cruise on it, try to rattle it, etc., and it is as stable as can be. The center "door" makes it easy for my husband and I to get in and out.

The best price I found on these is through babycatalog.com.

Lisa
& Jack, age 1

sullivanj
08-12-2003, 12:02 AM
>Does anyone have suggestions for baby proofing a fireplace
>hearth? The only one that I can find (by Prince Lionheart)
>received bad reviews on Amazon. I have pillows blocking it
>now, but that's not a permanent solution! Any ideas would
>be appreciated!

Too funny...of course we would be asking the same question!!!

dogmom
08-15-2003, 02:26 PM
We have a huge raised hearth that I wanted to pad. I wound up getting comforters and an old egg crate foam pad from a single bed and placing them overlapping the hearth edge. Then I had an old slipcover for a sofa. I put that over it and the elastic holds everything in place. You could probably make something similar. It is well padded now, so it would hurt less than falling on the floor. I would have to remove it to have a fire, but I wouldn't leave my son in the room alone with a fire and we really don't have them that often in the winter. My older dog has now adopted it as his sleeping area since it is closer to the ground than the sofa and his arthritis is acting up! It is very easy for me to sit on and read or something and watch my son crawl around in the family room. Much better than a huge gate around the area. I think I am going to buy some throw pillows to put up against the brick area and the glass fireplace door to make it an even more comfortable area to hang out in.