PDA

View Full Version : Kidco vs. Evenflow Gates

joanandjoel
05-01-2002, 07:53 AM
I keep reading that Kidco gates are rated number one. When I tried one in a store, I found it hard to open and close. Has anyone had problems opening/closing the gate while on the stairs carrying the baby? In addition, I have been talking to a baby proofer and she does not recommend the Kidco gates for the stairs - she recommonds the Evenflow Walk Through Stair Gate (which is less expensive). It sounds great because it is permanently mounted, but it is removeable. Has anyone used this gate? Has anyone had any problems opening/closing this gate while on the stairs with the baby? Has anyone had a problem with a child being able to remove the gate?

23Tam
05-02-2002, 12:46 PM
I am curious...did she say why she didn't recommend the KidCo Safeway for stairs? That is what we were going to get, but if I shouldn't be spending the money on it....

My biggest pluses with it over the Evenflo was that it was metal, instead of wood, and it is taller, a good thing with our tall baby!

Tam

joanandjoel
05-02-2002, 05:34 PM
The babyproofer does not like the Kidco because of the hardware used for latching. She said it is at the baby's eye level. I don't know what to think because the Kidco gates comes so highly recommended. If the hardware was a problem, I don't think so many people would be buying it. The weird thing is that the Evenflow is significantly less money than the Kidco - which means she will make less from us.

Another thing I noticed was that the Evenflow is a lot lighter than the metal Kidco. This might be easier when you are carrying the baby and trying to latch the gate on the stairs.

Lucypiemom
05-06-2002, 02:24 PM
I use the kidco gates, and have been very happy with them. My daughter cannot open them, regardless of the fact that the hardware is where she can see it. I have them at the top of my stairs upstairs, and the top of the basement stairs. I recently put another at the bottom of the main staircase (am pg with number 2 and was tired of chasing my daughter up the stairs!).

I highly recommend them, as does BB book and consumer reports!

luvbeinmama
05-09-2002, 11:45 PM
I don't have stairs, but I have the Evenflow Secure Solutions Swing gate, and I love it. The latch is easy to operate, once you get the knack of holding it toward the wall as you lift the latch. I do usually have to show people how to operate it. It also comes off the wall brackets, and when I don't need it I just stick it beside my fridge. You can also make it swing one-way (for stairs or hallways)or both ways. I have it on both entrances to my walk through kitchen, and it has been a really great gate.