PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection for an infant/toddler?

egoldber
06-16-2002, 08:24 AM
In September, DH and I (and Sarah) will be going to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a weekend race event. Sarah will then be 13 months old. While we are attempting to find a sitter for Sunday (the actual race day), she will be with us on Friday and Saturday at the track. These cars are LOUD and we need to get hearing protection for her to wear while the cars are on the track (which is only for about an hour on Friday and about 2 hours on Saturday). In the worst case scenario, if we can't find a sitter for Sunday, she will be with us at the race as well, so she would need the muffs for about 4 hours.

I have found several places that sell adult sized earmuffs, but not child sized. I have read that you can cut down adult sized earplugs (what we will be wearing) to fit a child, but I really don't think that she will keep earplugs in her ears. I would really like to find a place that sells protection quality earmuffs for toddlers.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

ct
06-17-2002, 02:30 PM
Have you tried calling an ENT, Audiologist or maybe even your pediatrician? I am deaf in one ear and am very careful that I wear earplugs any time I attend a loud concert, car race, etc. as I want to protect my remaining hearing, so I know how worried you must be for your child (you might want to think about bringing earplugs for yourselves as well just in case!). I was told by my ENT that any time your ears ring after being exposed to loud noises you have permanently lost some hearing. Anyway, I would try a doctors office as they may be able to point you in the right direction, safely. Best of luck to you...

ct

egoldber
06-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the tip, I may indeed call our peds. And we will MOST certainly be wearing earplugs ourselves!

Thanks again,

daisy
07-01-2002, 10:48 AM
Did you ever find a source for ear coverings?