PDA

View Full Version : one-handed gate for stairs?

riostoker
06-23-2002, 07:00 AM
We went out yesterday and bought three of the Kidco safeway (hardware mounted) gates - for top/bottom of stairs and for the office. They have gotten good recommendations everywhere, so we decided they were the best to get.

My husband installed the office one last night (also has a 24 inch extension piece), and I really don't like it. It can not be opened with one hand. I definitely don't want to install them on the stairs since most of the time I'll have my daughter in one arm. I need to be able to open the stair gates with one hand.

So... two questions.
1) Can the Safeway normally be opened with one hand? I'm wondering if the extension is causing the problem.

2) What is a good hardware-mounted gate that can be used at the top of the stairs that can be opened with one hand?

Thanks,
ann

23Tam
06-23-2002, 09:50 AM
I have a safeway with the extension and have never had a problem operating it one handed. Can you give some more detail about why it takes two hands? Maybe I know a trick I didn't know I know!

Tam

suzska
06-23-2002, 10:10 AM
I have the Beechwood Gate, not the Safeway. But I did go to Kidco's site to look at the directions for the Safeway to see if the mechanism is similar, and it is. I can open the Beechwood Gate with one hand. You press down on the release with your thumb, and pull up on the gate with your other fingers. You should be able to lift the gate enough for the bolt to clear the locking mechanism and then lift it the rest of the way out. I know my mother has trouble with it, but then she has trouble with the belts on the stroller and the high chair, too. To lock it you just lift the gate up and put the bolt into the mechanism, and then I make sure to press down lightly near the locking side until I hear the gate "click" into the lock. We haven't installed a gate at the top of the stairs, yet. The Beechwood gate is in the doorway to my son's room (we've removed the actual door for now). The only other one I've heard good things about is the Evenflo Secure Solutions/Walk-Thru Gate, but I haven't tried that one personally.

luvbeinmama
06-24-2002, 04:47 PM
I have the Evenflo Secure Solutions gates and they work just fine one-handed. I've never had a problem with them. Haven't tried Kidco gates.