PDA

View Full Version : Lock for sliding doors?

vivianm
07-28-2002, 11:25 PM
I can't seem to find any products designed to babyproof sliding doors. The closet in my son's room has two sliding doors and they are so lightweight that almost any touch opens them. He's only six months old and has already been able to open them just by brushing his feet or hands against the doors. Anyone know of any product designed for this purpose?

TracyA
08-17-2002, 11:01 PM
I actually saw something at BRU. It was a plastic piece shaped sort of like a boomarang that you stick on the door. In order to slide either of the doors, you have to push the plastic underneath the other door. We haven't bought it yet, but our dd has a row of four sliding doors on her closet, so I'm thinking of trying it. If we end up getting it, I'll let you know how it works.

HTH, Tracy

brubeck
08-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Safety First actually makes a sliding door lock, but the problem is that to use it you have to glue it to one of the doors. This could be a problem in a couple of years when you finally want to remove it. Our sliding closet doors are mirrored so we have been trying to put off using this and have been using the scolding technique instead. At 6 months though soclding is probably too early!

webma
08-26-2002, 12:45 PM
If the doors are are wood or a wood like product try a hook and eye fastner from a hardware store. When you no longer need it, it can be fixed up with a little wood putty filler and paint. I use them on the closet and other doors that I need the kids to stay out of. They do need to be installed up high of course.

TracyA
09-01-2002, 10:34 PM
The sliding door locks that I saw at BRU are KidCo brand, but they work the same way as the Safety First locks that you mention. Our dd's closet doors are also mirrored. I was willing to stick them on there anyway, but the doors are more than 1/2" apart (apparently), so the locks don't stop the doors from sliding. Pretty useless. They go back tomorrow.

Anyone have any other ideas?