PDA

View Full Version : Impossible stairs to gate?????!

dd_ani
08-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Ok, my dd ani is now crawling and trying to walk. We have a Kidco Safeway gate for the top of the stairs, but the bottom is a problem.

Basically, one side of the stairs is solid wall, but the other side has a rounded banister followed by spindled railings for the first three steps. Then solid wall begins on this side, but with a hand rail that only allows 1-2 inches of clear wall space.

So, what do I do about a gate for the bottom of these stairs? I have read that putting a gate a few steps up is good to deveop some stair skills, but quite frankly that scares me. Does anyone have any recommendations? --I have suggested to dh that we move, but he isn't too keen on the idea. :) -- Thanks!

Michelle

Momof3Labs
08-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Is there any way that you can just gate off access to the stairs? This is what we decided to do, because we have a similar set-up with the spindles and wall. We can gate off one doorway and one hallway, and prevent access to the bottom of the stairs from the family room and kitchen - where we spend all of our time. Baby isn't here yet so I don't know if it will work in reality, but I guess we'll find out soon!