PDA

View Full Version : cushioning for coffee table

cara1
10-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Has anyone bought padding for the coffee table? DS has bonked his head for the 3rd time this week. 2 were on the coffee table, one was on the floor. I feel like a lot of how he hurts himself is not baby-proofable (e.g., the floor!). Does the padding on the coffee table actualy work? Can anyone recommend a good brand? Or a brand of helmet....? :)

suzska
10-12-2002, 01:26 PM
I got a "Toddler Sheild" (I think that's what it's called) from Baby Catalog. I didn't want any padding that was "permanently" attached to the coffee table. I got the Medium sized one, but the Small might have worked better. I didn't measure my table exactly, and probably should have (I know it's on the border between the two sizes). I had a little trouble stretching it to fit, but it does sag in the middle, which is why I think the Small would be better. Probably would have been easier if I hadn't put it on all by myself. ;-) I can't remember if Evan's ever banged himself off the coffee table, but he does play with his toys on it all the time. Evan's more likely to purposely bang the back of his head against the wall. I know exactly what you mean about a helmet! :-)

emmiem
10-15-2002, 07:34 AM
I bought two pads for coffee tables from Right Start. They are both fitting two very different size and shape tables and work wonderfully. I recommend them.

MyFirstBaby
12-16-2002, 11:51 AM
Sorry, this isn't really an answer to your question, but just an idea that I wanted to share for those of you struggling with this problem.
When my husband and I bought a new home in April, we were expecting our little boy in September and had a full home of furniture to buy. I was back and forth for weeks trying to decide on a coffee table that wouldn't make the room look too small, but that was also safe for our little one (I loved the glass top tables, but they just weren't practical for us anymore). We didn't purchase something until this month, when our son was 9 weeks old!
Our solution? We bought a large upholstered ottoman - it serves as both an ottoman AND a coffee table, with the use of a large serving tray on it. It's fully padded (obviously), and allows us to entertain when we want, or put our drinks down.

Rhonda G
http://www.geocities.com/rhondareev/Collin_Announcement3.html

LisaS
12-16-2002, 03:42 PM
I have the Toddler Shield (got it from One Step Ahead), I did measure my table exactly and got the Medium and it fits perfectly. DD has banged her head into the shield so many times and never complained, or noticed -- and I find myself saying thank god I bought it...it is really very cushioned. Only thing is, she is now pulling herself up on any and every piece of furniture, including the coffee table, and she ends up pulling the toddler shield...so I just have to remove her from it and move her to something else she can use to pull up on. I agree w/the cushioned large ottoman. If I had a choice, I would buy that instead of a coffee table...unfortunately, we rent a fully furnished apartment that came w/a glass coffee table.