PDA

View Full Version : Gates for Stairway

ashleyst12
10-11-2002, 01:42 PM
Hello,
My wife and I want to put a safety gate at the top of our stairs so out daughter doesn't crash down them. Here is the question, we don't want to spend a fortune but want the easiest ones to operate with our hands full. Any recommendations???? We have seen ones with the remotes and all but they go for $150 or so. Need to find something more reasonable.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Rob
Father to Joanna who just turned 1

suzska
10-12-2002, 01:20 PM
$150?? Baby Catalog has the Evenflo Simple Touch Gate for $50. But I don't know anything about this gate personally. (Hmm...I can't find this one on Evenflo's site?) I know a lot of people like Secure Solutions Gate from Evenflo, and I've considered this one for when we need a gate at the top of the stairs. We have the Kidco Beechwood Gate installed in the doorway to Evan's room--I don't have a problem opening it with one hand, but it can be a little tricky. This one costs ~$73 at Baby Catalog, but I've always thought it looked a lot nicer than most gates, so I didn't mind spending a little extra. We took the door off the hinges, and installed the gate directly into the wooden doorframe.

lbess
10-14-2002, 11:45 PM
We have the Kidco Safeway gate at the top of our stairs, and it's pretty easy to operate with one hand. It came from babystyle.com (got a good deal there), but you can get them lots of places.

egoldber
10-15-2002, 07:00 AM
I have this gate also at the top of the stairs to my basement and I really like it.

HTH,

mary b
10-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi Rob, you may not have alot of time since Joanna just turned one, but have you tried garage sales or consignment shops? You do have to check to ensure that all the parts are there, but we bought all our gates this way and have saved alot of $$ and all but one were brand new, just never used.

Mary

twins r fun
10-27-2002, 10:01 PM
I second (or third?) the Evenflo Secure Solutions gate. We have 5 of these strategically placed around our house. They're easy to open one handed-I even occasionaly can open them while carrying both of my twins!

I looked at the Evenflo one with the remote, but it got a lot of bad reviews (on either Babies R Us website or babycenter.com). You might want to look into that before you buy.

Nicole