PDA

View Full Version : Finger guards for door

cara1
12-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Also, anyone buy those finger guards for the doors? DS loves to play with the door now, swinging it open and closed, open and closed. I'm just waiting for him to pinch his fingers near the hinge. Do these things work? What brands?

brubeck
12-15-2002, 03:33 PM
I use the ones made by Safety First. They look like big white rubbery-foam Cs.They do not go on the side near the hinge, but on the outside of the door (handle side). We put them near the top of the door so my daughter can't pull them off. I suppose you could put it on the top of the door near the hinge side, but if the child really enjoys opening and closing the door this eliminates most of the fun.

They work really well because they prevent the door from closing all the way which prevents her from being caught in a room and from pinching her fingers on the handle side. What they do NOT prevent is if you have more than one child playing in the same area, and one child has their fingers in the hinge side while the other is shutting the door. This happened to my daughter once in playgroup so ever since I have been very careful when there are multiple children around.

For some reason I have never seen a toddler who pushed on the hinge side of the door to shut it, so they don't seem to be able to pinch their own fingers there. Plus they're not physically big enough to have finers in the hinge side while stretching to reach the door handle.

So in short: it works great with one child, with two you still have to watch.