PDA

View Full Version : gates and furniture secure ties

cara1
12-04-2002, 03:54 PM
Sorry, so many babyproofing questions now that DS is cruising. We live in an apartment, and DH really doesn't want to mount the Evenflo secure solutions. I know pressure-mounted gates are not as safe on stairs, but would they be okay for a regular doorway? Are there pressure mounted ones that still open and close to allow us in/out? Also, could pressure mounted ones be mounted a few inches off the floor to allow the cats to crawl underneath, as folks have suggested with the Evenflo?

One more question, has anyone bought those ties that secure bookcases and the like to the wall? DS loves to pull up on his diaper changing area, and loves to pull it down. I'm sure the bookcases are next. Do these things work? Are they complicated to use?

Funny, a few months back, I started a thread entitled "How much babyproofing is really necessary?" I guess you just don't know until you're in the throws of it... TIA

LisaS
12-05-2002, 10:57 AM
We just started babyproofing as well and also live in an apt. I think the best gates for an apt. are Kiddiguards -- they're retractable, so they pretty much disappear when you don't want them up (once baby is asleep :-) They're not pressure mounted though...you do have to install them.

The other invaluable piece of babyproofing equip we've gotten is the table guard -- bumper that goes all the way around a coffee table. It is fantastic! We got it from One Step Ahead online and love it. BuyBuyBaby also sells them.

ct
12-05-2002, 03:23 PM
I only use pressure mounted gates in our house (it has beautiful, old woodwork that I can't bear to damage by drilling holes into it). We use the First Years Hands-Free gates (I have 3) and have been using them for 2 years. They are great - especially since you don't have to worry about having a free-hand to open and close it. I've had a couple pieces break on 2 of the gates over the years, but First Years has excellent CS and has always immediately remedied the situation with either a replacement part or a whole new gate (note that the 2 gates that got broken were in a high traffic zone). First Years unconditionally guarantees their products, so you don't have to worry about warranty time limits. Also, I have NEVER had a gate get pushed down - I screw them in very tightly. HTH

ct
SAHM to Lilli (9/20/00) & Alec (10/21/02)

Momof3Labs
12-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Colin isn't mobile yet, but we have a First Years hands-free gate blocking the cat's room (from the dogs). I love it! To allow the cat to go through, my husband removed one of the vertical rails to the side of the gate. If you have a skinny cat, though, he could probably fit between the bars. It does have to be installed on the floor.

Glad to hear that customer service is responsive - we bought more of these gates for high-traffic areas once Colin is mobile, and I'm sure that we'll need replacement parts sooner or later!

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02