PDA

View Full Version : Kiddy Guard from One Step Ahead

tzuchang
12-06-2002, 02:30 AM
Has anyone tried "Kiddy Guard" from One step Ahead? http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=1166&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1166 Is it safe? Is it worth the money? Thanks!

LisaS
12-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Yes and yes. I have it but bought it in London, it is a little cheaper here. I only use it for 2 rooms b/c we live in an apt, not a house with stairs. We love it and everyone we know here has them and loves them. I know a few people have raved about the hands-free gates, but I don't fit the Kiddyguard to be a problem using my hands to open it. The best thing is that when dd is napping or asleep for the night, we can retract them all and they dissappear and take up no space.

hellollama
12-06-2002, 05:58 PM
We bought one but it was clearly used and broken as you could not open it at all and it came in a damaged package missing hardware (it wasn't from One Step Ahead). We returned it and eventually bought a conventional gate because I was very wary of a gate that could be broken so easily. I also researched other people's opinions on it and it seemed that the prevailing opinion was that it would often stick and not open, that it would break a lot and become unusable, and that it was very difficult to open even when it was working correctly. Having looked at the one I had for a brief time, I have to admit that I wasn't impressed and would never buy another one unless they made a lot of improvements. And I know we got to the point where our gates had to be up 24 hrs a day, making the retractablity issue kind of useless, but we live in a bi-level.

LisaS
12-07-2002, 10:56 AM
I am so surprised to hear that you have trouble with your kiddiguard. I have never had any problems with getting them stuck (have had them up only 2 months, though). But, I do not need them up 24-hrs by a long shot and I am in a 1 level apt. Perhaps Kiddiguard makes different ones in the UK, where I got mine, from the ones in the US. In any event, I would reccommend buying somthing like a gate from a brick-and-mortar store as opposed to online or a catalog so you don't have to deal with shipping it back if it is defective. Good luck.