PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about gates

Rachel 3
01-05-2003, 11:10 AM
We are about to have to babyproof, although frankly I think it would be easier to just move. What kind of gates do you like? What's the best choice for something to attach to the wall on one side and the banister on the other? What about to go in doorways? Are any of them idiot-proof in addition to being babyproof?

We're off today to look at kitchen tables. Ours is gateleg, which means that if Abby pushes the leg while crawling, it will slam down on her head. No good.

Rachel (used to be Rachels)
Mom to Abigail Rose
5-18-02

BethG
01-05-2003, 11:24 AM
The Kidco gates are very versatile and very well made. The downside is, they are NOT cheap. If you want to barricade something free standing (like stereo speakers, etc.) then the ConfigureGate is a good option. These are NOT cheap. We have 2 in our family room and 2 extensions for a grand total of about $200! DH was shocked and really balked until I put my foot down. HE isn't the one home with DD all day and having to keep running after her for making a beeline for the stereo speakers and stereo equipment! I also pointed out to him how much it would cost to REPLACE the speakers and other stuff if she broke them, and he got the point pretty quickly. Kidco also sells accessory kits to install their gates to railings and banisters if you need to. Check out www.kidcoinc.com.

For doorways, many people like the First Years Hands Free Gate (you do it with your knee and is great). It's about $35.

On our stairs, we have the Evenflo Secure Solutions Gate. It is also about $35 and is very sturdy.

And there are some rooms that we didn't even bother with. We have a home office room where all the computers are. There are so many wires, etc. that we didn't even try. She just doesn't go in those rooms without being closely supervised.

All gates take a little practice, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I find the worst part is when you have guests over to visit. They have to be reminded to keep the gates closed and my father almost broke the Evenflo gate because he got so frustrated with it (but he's also always had a really hot temper with a short fuse anyway).

HTH,