PDA

View Full Version : At what age do I need to worry about baby proofing?

etwahl
01-06-2003, 08:52 PM
I assume that for a while after born, I don't really need to worry about this, since there's no moving around, but when should I start worrying about this?

Also, just a question about our mobile on the crib. It's the Tiny Love popular one, and it seems like it could be within touching distance from the mattress. Is that the way it's supposed to be? Is that okay? Or should we lower the mattress quite a bit?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
01-06-2003, 11:11 PM
You don't need to start baby proofing until your baby is mobile. That could be as early as 4 months, but more likely in the 6-8 month range.

Your baby will not be able to reach out and touch the mobile for several weeks. But see if the mobile has a height adjustment, most do.

I don't remember how long your DH's deployment is for (or if you even know). Regardless, YOU need to know how to lower the crib mattress so that you can do so when the time comes.

HTH,

cara1
01-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Lowering the mattress is a huge pain, and I'd never want to take that on myself (although I am admittedly a weakling and not interested in such projects). You could just start out on the lowest mattress height and not have to worry about adjusting.

sparkeze
01-08-2003, 03:29 AM
That's true but if you're lifting your baby in and out of the crib it's much easier to do it with the mattress at the highest position. It's definitely a strain on the back! (Esp. when you're trying to lay your baby down as gently as possible so they stay asleep!)

etwahl
01-08-2003, 11:28 AM
How do you know where to keep the mattress at and for how long? I was going to have DH lower the mattress before he left, but after reading your post, maybe that's not such a good idea just yet. I'm still confused about the mobile (Tiny Love Symphony in Motion). It just seems like it's fairly close, and that's another reason I was thinking about having him lower the mattress right away. But I don't know. I'm going to have him give me a lesson in lowering the mattress as well, but it looks pretty difficult. UGH!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
01-08-2003, 11:43 AM
We kept Sarah at the highest seting for a long time. When they start moving around (rolling, etc.) move it to the lower setting. When she started sitting up and pulling up, we moved it to the lowest setting.

If you crib has three setting, then you might want to put it at the middle setting. It wouldn't be "that" low and you could leave it there for many, many months.

HTH,

etwahl
01-08-2003, 11:53 AM
that sounds like a good happy medium, and would ease any concerns I have.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!