advice. My son burned his hand on the forced air heating vent on the floor
in his
bedroom. Of course I called his doctor immediately and treated his
burn, but
now I looking for advice as to how to prevent this from happening
again! I
have looked on several baby safety sites and cannot find anything
helpful.
Any advice or helpful sites would be greatly appreciated. I thought I remember seeing some type of plastic cover.. but can't find it

Thank You!

flagger
02-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Just my $.02, but I would wager that he won't touch it again. I learned pretty quickly at a young age, that "fire hot, don't touch" rule.

Seriously is there a barrier you can put around it that doesn't really block the air flow? I wonder how those small metal dog exercise pens (that are about 3' high and 3-4 panels would work. It might be ugly, but it would give a wall of safety around it and allow the air to flow through.

Andrea S
02-08-2003, 01:13 PM
They sell plastic covers at home depot, but they are open on one side so he could still get his hand in there.

Andrea

CherylT
02-08-2003, 05:18 PM
What about getting a plastic or wood vent cover instead of a metal one? I have some wood ones in my house and they never get too hot. I know they sell these at Home Depot. HTH

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

jubilee
02-09-2003, 01:24 AM
My husband, Tom, works in the heating and cooling industry, so I asked him what he thought... He was concerned about your furnace getting too hot. Your vents shouldn't be getting that hot. As we talked about it he had me touch our vents, and they were definately not able to burn anyone with our furnace on. His recommendation is to have a furnace "tune-up" and to specifically ask the tech to check into why your vents are getting that hot. Just get a good honest company to check out your heating system... it will probably save you money if your furnace is working too hard. Of course, without him seeing it, he couldn't diagnose anything, but that's his best advice.

juliasdad
02-19-2003, 03:40 PM
I agree. Your registers should absolutely NOT be getting so hot as to be able to cause burns. If they are, there is a problem with your heating system which needs to be corrected asap.

-dan