PDA

View Full Version : toddler proof cabinet locks?

myllam
02-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Just couldn't believe it today. My 18 month old DS had a piece of tissue in his hand, calmly walked over to our cabinet under the sink, pulled the door open, and when the Gerber spring lock prevented him from opening it, he calmly reached over and pushed the button down and opened the door! He threw the tissue away, and closed it. Give him an A for neatness and ingenuity, but now mom has a new problem :-(

Are there more toddler proof kitchen cabinet locks out there? We had already removed all the dangerous chemicals out from there, but I don't really want him accessing the garbage and the recyclables :-)

Thanks!

Monica

KathyO
02-10-2003, 04:39 PM
The Tot-Loks (the ones released by a magnet used by the adult) are pretty foolproof, although they're a right royal pain to install and some cupboards are not compatible with them. We've got them and do like them.

KathyO

egoldber
02-10-2003, 05:07 PM
I agree. The Totloks are pretty fool proof if they work for you.

HTH,

CherylT
02-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I had to laugh when I read this because the exact same thing happened at our house when DD was the same age (and about 2 weeks after we had installed the cabinet locks). Smart little ones aren't they :)? I ended up doing nothing with regard to locking the cabinets any other way. I am afraid of the Tot Loks because I can guarantee that the key will get lost. The layout of my house allows me to gate off the kitchen, so I pretty much just keep the gate door closed unless I'm there to supervise. We keep all the chemicals elsewhere, so that isn't an issue. I actually have DD help me toss things away and she seemed to understand that it wasn't a place for playing in. DH never remembers to shut the gate, so it isn't as if she doesn't have the opportunity to get into the kitchen unsupervised, but she didn't seem interested in going in the cabinets once she figured out the lock. Good luck to you!!!

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

egoldber
02-10-2003, 06:18 PM
This is why I have 4 keys. :)

myllam
02-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Thanks all for your responses! It was one of those moments where you know you should try and let him know that wasn't an okay thing to do, but you are so proud of him, you can't help smiling :-) Anyways, he hasn't shown an interest in the cabinet since, so we may go with letting the locks as is since we have to get into them a lot. Now the snack cabinet is another matter, he has been eyeing those locks rather intensely :-)

Monica

sarsah
03-01-2003, 09:37 PM
The magnetic Tot-Loc ones are about the only thing that could keep my son out.

However, we never put a lock on the garbage cabinet and instead taught him to put his garbage in there. We only had to remind him a few times not to 'play' in the garbage -- now he loves to throw away his own trash.

Oh, by the way, if your child has figured out the cabinet locks, the door handle covers and gates probably won't be far behind. Long before my DS was 2 (he'll be 3 in May), he had pretty much figured out all the baby proofing we'd done, including the outlet covers where you have to twist the plug to get it to go in and the step activiated baby gate (since he wasn't heavy enough, he would jump on the step and the gate would open).

Sarah....Jason's Mommie

belindapooh
03-20-2003, 08:26 AM
I need to get the tot locs.....where can I buy them? Are they at BRU/TRU? Or do I get them online and if so, where? Beth - Do you think I can get them at the local BRU or maybe the Right Start? I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Belinda
Nyah's Mom
Born 2/6/02

August Mom
03-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Tot Locs are available at my local BRU and USA Baby.

egoldber
03-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Belinda, around here, I know you can get them at BRU, BuyBuyBaby and The Right Start.

HTH,

WASONETWIGGY
06-11-2003, 10:14 PM
A company that I purchase items from will be having alarm safety lock available in November. So now you'll be able to hear when the lock comes off...

My son is one this Sunday! I wish I had some myself! Even I have to wait!