PDA

View Full Version : Gates for stairs & Coffee table stuff??

ThirtySmthing
03-09-2003, 04:31 PM
I don't really want to screw into my banisters. The kidco gate with the banister kit seems expensive. Any other options for a very safe gate for the top of the stairs that doesn't screw directly to the banister???

What about furniture corners?? The ones I have seen have double stick tape?? Where cna I find a better option??

Thanks!

Karenn
03-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Hi,
I can only tell you what NOT to buy. I got "kid kushions" for my coffee table. It's the foam that you're supposed to stick to your coffee table with special adhesive that "will not mar furniture!" Not only did Colin remove the foam cushions from the coffee table within 1 minute of my putting them on, the adhesive did in fact mar my coffee table. I'm not a happy camper. I've heard that the sort of elastic pads which fit all the way around the coffee table (without any adhesive) are a better idea. I'm not sure what to do about other corners.

HTH

egoldber
03-09-2003, 05:38 PM
For coffee tables, I highly recommend the wraparound kind. They work really well. What other types of corners do you have? As long as the corner isn't at toddler head level, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The kind of gate you need really depends on your situation. While the Kidco gates ARE incredibly expensive, they provide by far the most flexibility in their application. We have invariably found them to be the only ones we can use.

If you REALLY don't want to put a gate there, you could see if you could maybe attach a gate or something like the Kidco Elongate just in front of the stairs rather than at the top of the stairs itself. But I would barricade it in some way. A toddler is FAST and will be down the stairs before you know it.

HTH,