PDA

View Full Version : Padding vertical surfaces?

Rachels
03-19-2003, 10:16 AM
We need to move to a padded bunker, I think. Abigail crashes into vertical things: the sides of dressers, floor mirrors, the legs of tables. I've seen bumpers for horizontal surfaces like coffee tables. Is there anything that would work to cushion upright stuff? Barring that, maybe I should just get her a crash helmet.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

LisaS
03-19-2003, 04:59 PM
I used the edge cushions (they come in packs w/the corner cushions at lots of places). They're not made specifically for vertical surfaces but they work well - adhesive strips on the back so youc an pretty much put them anywhere you want. Here's a link:
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=204&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=6&iProductID=204
I was very worried initially when Sarah started bumping into things when she was first becoming an active crawler, so I used these cushions on most of the hard edges in the living area where she plays. But, truthfully, after bumping into things a few times, she figured out how to avoid the potential head on collisions. I also ended up moving some furniture around to cut down on the vertical surfaces - moved a dresser into a corner instead of in the middle so there was only 1 edge/side to bump into. It probably wasn't necessary, but not only did it limit the potential bump spots - it also gave her more space to crawl around - an added bonus.

egoldber
03-20-2003, 10:37 AM
I agree. We moved our furniture a little to create more open space for DD. but she soon figured out to pay attention to where she was going. :) Now that she is walking, we have the "tripping hazard" issue: toys, sippies, books, etc. I guess she'll figure that out eventually too!

Karenn
03-20-2003, 12:04 PM
I just wanted to add a thought. You might want to test the adhesive for those cusions on a hidden spot on your furniture. Perhaps it's just that I bought a cheaper version, but they took the finish right off of my coffee table. Not to mention the fact Colin pulled the edge pieces off within a minute. For some reason, the corner pieces stayed attached to the table, but, now, Colin is constantly trying to take bites out of them. He's succeeded once.

I know what you mean about the crash helmet though! Every time a bruise fades away, he hits his head and gets a new one! It seems to bother him more than me though.