PDA

View Full Version : Help help help!!!

Rachels
04-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Here's a horror: in the split second my friend's back was turned, her 10-month old crawled through a pet door and fell down the entire flight of stairs to their basement! Thankfully, he's okay, but it was terrifying and they're in need of a quick solution. How would you go about childproofing a pet door that pets HAVE to be able to access? I thought of the Configure Gate, but it won't fit in the space-- it's a narrow area. Ideas?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
04-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Can you replace the pet door? There are some that are meant for outside doors that are locked unless the pet with a special transmitter on its collar is going through. Baby wouldn't be able to get through the pet door without the transmitter.

That is terrifying - and a good reminder that pet doors on their own are not childproof. It is very fortunate that baby is okay after that fall!

Rachels
04-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks! I mentioned the transmitter thing to them. SO scary. This baby is one of Abigail's big buddies. I can't imagine if something happened to him.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

gigi927
04-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Hi there,

The electronic pet door is their best bet. It has a special electronic key that goes on the pet's collar and only that key opens the door, so babies (or other critters) can't get through. I just bought one, andthe best price I found is at www.properpet.com. It's called the PetSafe Electronic Door.

Good luck to your friend!

Gigi