PDA

View Full Version : bed rails

stillplayswithbarbies
04-10-2003, 08:26 PM
I'm trying to find rails for our bed. We cosleep with an infant, 2 weeks old so far. We are using the Snuggle Nest, but I want to be able to place it on the edge of the bed rather than between us. Also, when I take her out to nurse her, we fall asleep and I would feel better if there was a rail on the edge of the bed.

the problem: our mattress is 9" deep and the rails I have seen don't look tall enough. Does anyone else have this problem, and have you found rails that are deep enough?

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

sparkeze
05-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Nope! I haven't seen anything that would come more than a couple inches over the mattress. But for an infant not rolling yet it would probably be good enough. What we ended up doing is putting a pillow on the inside of the rail and that worked until DS was able to crawl over the pillow. The reason for the pillow is that there's a bit of a space in between the rail and mattress that a little one could get caught in. I know another mom who stuffed receiving blankets in that space, which works too.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-09-2003, 11:47 PM
That's a good idea, I didn't think about stuffing a pillow over there.

What we ended up doing was turning the snuggle nest sideways at the top of the bed and sliding down below her. Our feet hang off the bottom of the bed, but I feel much safer. She tends to wiggle until she is sliding out of the snuggle nest, and this way she slides right into our heads. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

dogmom
06-07-2003, 07:57 PM
I decided not to go with bed rails because I was more concerned about my son getting stuck between the mattress and the rail and smothering than about whatever injuries he may get if he fell out. I also have a platform bed so it would have been difficult to get a good "fit" with a railing. I put some padding on my side of the floor if he ever did, but he didn't. The Arm's Reach Co-sleeper which I sometimes used attaches to the bed fairly securely and can function as a barrier also. It gives you a place to put her if she want's her own space later. Just another idea.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03