PDA

View Full Version : drawer latches

girlboytwins
05-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Has anyone tried the Adhesive Mount Cabinet/Drawer Locks from One Step Ahead. Do they really keep kids out? We would love to not have to screw anything into our cabinets.

Thanks

Amy
Mom of 10 month old twins

Karenn
05-06-2003, 10:52 AM
We tried one. It lasted all day until DH, forgetting that we had put locks on the cabinet, went to thow something in the trash and said "Why won't the cabinet door open?" and yanked on it until it opened. ;) Actually he didn't have to yank on it that hard for the latch to come right off. I would imagine a persistent toddler could do the same. Now, all of our latches are either the kind that screw into the wood, or the kind that attach to handles on the outside of the door.

girlboytwins
05-06-2003, 12:42 PM
What brand of latches did you purchase and where did you buy them? Thanks for responding.

Amy

Karenn
05-06-2003, 11:14 PM
We went ahead and used screws to reapply the One Step Ahead adhesive one and it works great now. The one we ordered (I think it's kidco) had the option of adhesive or screws. We're also currently using a lock that safety 1st makes on the outside of our cabinets. We bought that one at Toys R Us. (It's the bottom one in the picture.)
[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000789SH/qid=1052279589/br=1-2/ref=br_lf_ba_2//103-9174382-3480659?v=glance&s=baby&n=547956]
However, I'm not sure I'd recommend it since we're on our third one. The first two broke after only a couple weeks of use. We also tried the lock that is top left in the picture and I found it way to cumbersome for a cabinet that I get into freqently. I think we may try the Tot Lock next. I've read some good things about it on this board. Good luck, and let me know if you find another good option.

egoldber
05-07-2003, 12:10 PM
From what I have seen, nothing that doesn't screw in really works. We have TotLoks and have been very pleased. But they do not always work on all cabinets.

HTH,

girlboytwins
05-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Where is the most affordable place to buy or order Tot Locs? How do we know if our cabinets are the right size for them?

Thanks

Amy

egoldber
05-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately, it isn't a size issue, it is a matter iof how your cabinet doors are constructed. If I were you, I would buy a set locally and see if they fit. See if it works and if it does then try to find an inexpensive on-line place to buy them.

HTH,

stillplayswithbarbies
05-07-2003, 09:31 PM
The cheapest place I have found them is www.safebeginnings.com when you use the group code HSW to get 20% off.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

WASONETWIGGY
06-11-2003, 10:05 PM
In November a company that I purchase items from will be having alarm locks.... basically if your child does get the lock open an alarm will sound. Pretty Cool!