PDA

View Full Version : Window safety

himom
05-13-2003, 05:46 PM
I need help childproofing!!!

We have large, sliding, third floor windows that are about 3 feet off the floor. When they are open, the only thing between us and the sky outside is a screen. I’m really afraid if DS leans on it he could fall right out.

I already know enough not to put the changing table, crib, extra bed, dresser, etc near it so as not to provide a “ladder” to the window, but I need to be able to do more to keep all my bases covered. He’s only 3 months old now, but he’s already very inventive so I think I’d better get moving so I can try to stay ahead of him.

Keeping the windows closed isn’t an option because we live in Hawaii, and if you shut your windows you pretty much bake. Also, this is a “condo” and we aren’t supposed to make any changes that alter the exterior of the building. If we have to, I’ll do it, but I’d like to keep alterations to a minimum so I can hope no one will notice!

Does anyone know any window safety features? So far the only thing we can think of is bars. :(
TIA!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua Keoni, 2/8/03

nofeea
06-02-2003, 09:40 AM
I live in an apartment building with windows that slide open (side-to-side) and they just installed "window guards" for me. Basically, it's a piece that blocks the window from opening more than a certain amount. (For me they measured 5 1/2".) I wish there was a way to open them more to get more air in here but then it would be too wide- possible for a child to fit through. At least they open partially...
I imagine they must make something similar for up and down windows. Good Luck!